1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens hood

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muskieman911, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    Do you use your lens hood? Why or why not?

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    yes... to prevent flare, and damage

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Almost always. Drew has the reasons.

4. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    Yep. Same reasons.

5. Yup, me too. It's the only religion I have:biggrin:

6. yes - I just bought 2 hoods for the lenses that didn't come with them

I removed the UV filters when I installed the hoods...putting on flame suit - NOW!

7. You're a gutsy guy,or suicidal!!!!:wink:

8. Always, except for the one lens I have that doesn't have one.

9. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    I just started using them ALL THE TIME myself. Never did before. If not for flare DEFINITELY for protcetion.

10. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Always a hood, never a filter (other than PL). The only front lens element I have ever damaged happened when the lens w/filter dropped and filter shattered scratching glass. All my glass is "naked" with no damage occurring over the last 20+ years. I figure if I can keep my plastic lenses in my eye glasses, that I wear daily, scratch free I can manage to keep my camera lenses in the same conditon. ymmv, to each his own.

11. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    Always, for protection and flare. No UV protectors here. I used them in film days, but don't want to compromise anymore. I also used the hood on my CP8800 more often than not. :) 

12. Almost never. When flare is a significant problem I just throw my hand up

13. Oh yeah; it only took a few blown night shots with lousy contrast to convince me that I should always use it.

14. I use a lens hood essentially all of the time except with certain lenses built with the front element recessed in the barrel like certain Nikon Micro-Nikkors. There is no good reason that I can think of to take a chance on damaging the front of the lens.

Under certain conditions, where flash is used on close focus objects, it may not be possible to use a hood as the hood may block the light.

Tom

15. Use a lens hood for all shots except when using flash...I NEVER use it then - flare or no flare. I'm trying to get light in, not keep it out. But then again, I do not do many flash pictures. Last week I took about 400 pictures, all indoors using flash w/o lens hood. All came out satisfactory. Almost made me wish I had sprung for an SB-600, which I still may buy.

YMMV

16. I'd use it more if I or someone else would figure a way to use the CP with one. Somewhere that's one of the "why didn't I think of that" inventions in the making, although I thought I saw Tokina had something like that once.

17. The B

The B Guest

AFAIK the Tamron 180mm macro has a filter control ring to rotate your cp when the hood is attached. Pretty neat idea.

As to the original question: I always use a hood and have a dedicated one for each of my lenses, the 35-70 2,8 being the exception because i destroyed it's third party hood out of sheer stupidity lately. Time to get a new one, presumably.

18. I always use one. I bought a couple of cheap collapseable rubber ones from GoShotCamera. I figure the less spare light hitting your lens the better. It's one of the cheaper and easier ways to improve the quality of your pics.

19. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    All hoods, all the time. When I swap lenses they go face down on the ground.

Hood = good......nothing to do with flare protection although I suspect it helps.

I am in your camp man.....None of my primes have filter protection (including my 85 f1.2).

However, all my zooms do as they are more the walk around lenses and more prone to dirt, dust & fingers :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.