Lens Lust Advice.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Gazruss, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Tried searching but didn't find exactly what i was looking for.
    I am in no way shape or form a pro, or even a semi pro, would just like to be classed by my friends and family as "Good", so here is where the lens lust question comes in......

What is considered to be a "good" lens kit to have. I like shooting landscape, portraits, trees (Don't ask), pets, people, vacations....maybe a family wedding (As second shooter i hasten to add)

I love my D300, no intentions of trading it in for anything....i currently have the 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR, 18-55 3.5-5.6 VR, 50mm 1.8, 60mm 2.8 Micro(on it's way thanks to FS Forum). I really have to get the 85mm 1.4, just because.

What else would you folks suggest, budget depends on if the wife finds out before or after purchase.... but is not HUGE????

TIA

2. IMO, my fave and most used lens for anything is The Beast, 28-70 f/2.8!!!!!!!!!!

3. Actually, you already have some good glass... many consider the 18-200vr to be the ultimate walk around lens. But when it comes to impressing your friends, it will be a matter of craftsmanship, not gear. I don't think you can buy game. Some of my favorite lenses... like the 35/2 and 28-104/3.5-4.5... are cheapies. If I were you and the 60 macro was on the way, I'd hold off on any more lens purchases and concentrate on improving technique. Jmho.

4. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    You're almost there...

You've actually already got a good kit. If you're reallygoing to add the 85mm, then the only thing you lack is longer glass, though your subject matter doesn't really call for much of that (no sports, e.g.) I'd consider either the 180 f/2.8 if you want to stay Nikkor, or the Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro (the 'Bugma') to complete your set. (Unless you want to spring for the 70-200 AF-S VR which is a superb but much more expensive lens.)

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Your ready for some Nikkor AIS:smile:. Check out the 180 2.8 ED AIS www.keh.com. This lens is very affordable and is so sharp it will make you cry:wink:. I love my nikkor 85 1.4 AIS , but dont over look the Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS, or maby a 135 F2 AIS. If you want to go longer without spending huge bucks the Nikkor 400 5.6 ED-IF AIS is killer sharp and contrasty. Also very light and very quick handling with the internal focus and ED glass. You know, with all that glass you already have, and more on the way, maby its time to get a second body?

Gregory

6. mikechang

mikechang

Jun 9, 2008
    San Diego
    i think it really depends on how you think about your lens line up for now.
    what focal length do you use most often?
    (you can use software like EXIF analyzer to find out)

IMO, you need a Nikon 35/2 or Sigma 30/1.4 .... but that's really up to you...
    some ppl just don't use those focal length at all....

I think it's a question that you need to ask yourself, what do you need/want the most?

7. I would recommend a 105mm f2 DC or maybe the 135mm f2 DC. You have pretty much everything you mentioned covered with the exception of a portrait lens. The 105/135 would also make a great candid lens to use as a second shooter at weddings.

I will have to disagree with Frank about "game", I have bought any game I possess:biggrin:

8. Well, for convenience, the 18-200 is tough to beat. If you're willing to drop some dough and sacrifice convenience, then in addition to your 85/1.4, look at the 17-55/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8 VR, and possibly the new Nikkor 24-70/2.8. But in all honesty, based on your own self assessment/description, I would just keep what ya got and work on improving your image making skills (quick to add, I'm not saying they need improving...)

9. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi Garrie

I am a newbie and amateur as well. Indeed you have some nice lenses now and I can only tell you what I would do.

#1 carry the 50 1.8 as your "normal" lens rather than the dark 18-200, JMO
    #2 consider a very wide like a 10-20
    #3 Consider a 70-200 f2.8. I know you have the 18-200VR and that it is a highly rated lens, for its coverage. I often carry my DSLR and a point and shoot for the kind of range your 18-200 gives you (leaves my DSLR ready for shots where I need top quality):eek: 
    #4 Polarizing and ND filters are always handy and a good investment!

10. I go for compactness and quality. I stick to primes for those reasons.
    When the action is moving very fast, then zoom lenses but I rarely run into that situation.

11. it is too subjective

and everyone has a differing opinion, but my preference would be keep the 18-200 and just add primes. The 18-200 already covers a complete range, has VR, AF-S focusing and delivers good results, but add primes when you need more speed, DoF control, critical sharpness/contrast and when you want something small and compact. I've lost my lust for zooms....but that is a different topic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.