Lens lust has shifted a little.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snownow, Jul 20, 2007.

1. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    So I really really want a 300mm 2.8. But I just cant drop $4500 bucks for the VR. So I have been leaning towards the sigma 300mm. But, there is always a but. A friend also recommended the 120-300 2.8..... :confused:. I know there is a thread about this lens but with a choice between the two... any recommendations?

Mostly for sports and birds, and some use with a TC.

To make matters worse that 85. 1.4 looks better every day, I guess i could just back to my original lust of the 300mm F4 afs and get the 85.... I really need to be more wealthy!

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I beleive the general belief is the 120-300 is sharper by a hair than the prime. odd. what about getting an older nikon 300 2.8?

3. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I sent you a PM.

4. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    :smile:
    And a very tempting PM it is. :smile:

5. Well, Robert -

Having thought about taking one or another large plunges . . .

I'll suggest that you also envision, as a component of your decision, how you'd be most likely to use the new lens: would you scope out the best vantage point (with available "foot zoom" adjustments as needed) to set up your shots with a prime, or do you think that a zoom would suit your opportunies, available time and preferences (perhaps with a TC?)?

Are you concerned about resale values and the possibilites of "upgrading" down the road, or are these intended to be "long-term" acquistions?

Can your current tripod and head accommodate either of these options?

Having considered carefully both of those long lens options, but never having used either of them - although PJohnP kindly offered use of his 300 f/2.8 in New Mexico (thanks John!) - I can't offer objective input.

Just trying to share a bit of my "decision matrices" . . .

Eric

P.S. - I *love* my Nikon 300mm f/4 along with the 1.4 TC-IIE, the latter of which I purchased through the Café from SamIAm . . .

6. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I used to the Sigma once of a baseball game. I really wish I hadn't, but I needed the length. I wasn't that pleased at all about this lens as far as sharpness, speed, or build. The damn thing was breaking at the first joint after the mount. I had to hold the lens together or it would turn into a tilt/shift lens during mid shot! This is a newspapers lens, hence the destruction!

7. I had exactly the same problem. I can't afford a Nikon 300 so went for the Sigma 300. I considered the 120-300 zoom but the prime came up a little cheaper and I went for it. It's taking some getting used to the weight but I'm getting there https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=123088

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017