Lens lust has shifted a little.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by snownow, Jul 20, 2007.

1. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    So I really really want a 300mm 2.8. But I just cant drop $4500 bucks for the VR. So I have been leaning towards the sigma 300mm. But, there is always a but. A friend also recommended the 120-300 2.8..... :confused: . I know there is a thread about this lens but with a choice between the two... any recommendations?

Mostly for sports and birds, and some use with a TC.

To make matters worse that 85. 1.4 looks better every day, I guess i could just back to my original lust of the 300mm F4 afs and get the 85.... I really need to be more wealthy!

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I beleive the general belief is the 120-300 is sharper by a hair than the prime. odd. what about getting an older nikon 300 2.8?

3. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I sent you a PM.

4. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    :smile:
    And a very tempting PM it is. :smile:

5. Well, Robert -

Having thought about taking one or another large plunges . . .

I'll suggest that you also envision, as a component of your decision, how you'd be most likely to use the new lens: would you scope out the best vantage point (with available "foot zoom" adjustments as needed) to set up your shots with a prime, or do you think that a zoom would suit your opportunies, available time and preferences (perhaps with a TC?)?

Are you concerned about resale values and the possibilites of "upgrading" down the road, or are these intended to be "long-term" acquistions?

Can your current tripod and head accommodate either of these options?

Having considered carefully both of those long lens options, but never having used either of them - although PJohnP kindly offered use of his 300 f/2.8 in New Mexico (thanks John!) - I can't offer objective input.

Just trying to share a bit of my "decision matrices" . . .

Eric

P.S. - I *love* my Nikon 300mm f/4 along with the 1.4 TC-IIE, the latter of which I purchased through the Café from SamIAm . . .

6. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I used to the Sigma once of a baseball game. I really wish I hadn't, but I needed the length. I wasn't that pleased at all about this lens as far as sharpness, speed, or build. The damn thing was breaking at the first joint after the mount. I had to hold the lens together or it would turn into a tilt/shift lens during mid shot! This is a newspapers lens, hence the destruction!

7. I had exactly the same problem. I can't afford a Nikon 300 so went for the Sigma 300. I considered the 120-300 zoom but the prime came up a little cheaper and I went for it. It's taking some getting used to the weight but I'm getting there https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=123088

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.