Lens lust in remission!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, May 11, 2005.

1. Ever since I bought the 28-70/2.8, my lens lust has been in remission, so I used the break to scratch another itch.
    Printing has been a problem. My old Epson 1200 was a fine performer in its time, but it falls well short of modern
    standards. For example, it doesn't offer different profiles for photo paper, premium photo paper, and
    semi-gloss. I have to guess at contrast adjustments that would compensate for the differences, and
    rarely get it right. I never realized how much detail I was losing in my prints until I downloaded the Dry Creek
    profile and started using Costco for serious work.

I bought a fresh ink supply for the Epson 1200 today, but as I was leaving Comp USA, I noticed they had the
    Epson Stylus Photo R200 on sale for $99... only $54 more than I paid for the color ink cartridge!!! I made the
    swap, and came home with a new printer. It's fantastic! Crisp, colorful, detailed images... just as good as the
    prints from Costco's Noritsu 2901 printer!

My next buy is going to be an LCD monitor to replace my 4 year old 19" ViewSonic CRT. I checked out the
    Samsung 930b 19" monitor, and it's going to look wonderful on my desk. Prices have really dropped
    in that area, too. I can pick one up from JR Photo for only $300!

There's so much to lust for other than lenses... but I'm sure I'll get the Lens Lust bug again down the
    road 8) .

2. I don't mess with personal printers. Huge hassle for not much returns. And it's expensive.
    I run my studio and I rely on differnet shops, depending on the importance degree of the work and on the customers. Just goes to show I absolutely don't want to mess with printers. I lost too many ink and papers in the past, always lifting costs for nothing.

Costco is a often good alternative. For 20$ you get a lot!

If I was you, I'd invest in lenses... JMHO.

3. Uncle Frank

I am a doctor and know everything about remissions and relapses,
    and I'm sure the lens lust bug will hit back before you can recover
    from the last attack. :)

Phil

4. Hey Doc (Phil), what is your professional opinion on a treatment...??? :?

5. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Frank you know a good case of LLD can't be held down. :)

6. No. I won't look.

Well, I took a pick. You're a devil :evil:.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Phil,
    Keep the treatment simple and inexpensive because we have to have the money for lenses. This whole forum is infected and in trouble from what I can see....

Gaye

8. I know :cry:.

The 300/4 keeps calling my name... and the 20/2.8 would make such a nice addition to my camera bag :?.

But now that I've got my anchor... the 28-70/2.8, I feel I can be more patient, and save that fun for another day.

Speaking of The Beast, I haven't seen any shots from you lately. Is it too heavy for you? :wink:.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Looks like Ritz has that Epson R200 for $49.99 after the rebate... so look for that rebate where you buy it..... Can't beat that price for a good printer :lol:

Gaye

10. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Well the wife is keeping me busy cleaning and packing up the house. My reward is getting to visit the Cafe on breaks. :lol: :p

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Printers sure have come a long ways. I only print for friends and myself, but love my R1800.

The lens lust never goes away. It is waiting to strike twice as hard next time.

I love my 300 f4. :twisted:

12. Dear all

The problem is the doctor got infected himself and know nothing
    about a cure. And the infection is spreading fast.

And I agree that good printers and monitors are essential.

Happy shopping
    Phil

13. Wanna' second opinion from another doc.

Remission....no way.

You just have chronic active LL.
    You're infectious as all get-out!
    This forum is simply a vector for transmission.

I know this because you make me want a 28-70.

14. But that's just logical, Doc 8).

Hehehe.

15. I don't have a cure, I just reversed the process. My husband purchased an Epson Stylus 2200 for me about two years ago. I was unsuccessful at printing until I installed Nikon View and Capture. As soon as I let the software control the printing I started getting decent prints.

I purchased the Colorvision Print Fix Studio which includes the Spyder 2 Pro. I haven't installed it yet, but I hope to improve my output and create an accurate monitor profile for my laptop.

...So I am officially permitted to suffer from LL. I have the printing part covered. Now about that 28-70 and 200 micro.

Oh, I have an Olympus P400 gathering dust on my shelf. I had a client once who insisted on dye sub prints, so I let the job pay for the printer and supplies. Comes in handy in a pinch, but I prefer my Epson.

16. In my personal experience colors are very rarely correct on a LCD unless you buy a really high end one.. For 95% of my work I always make sure I use a CRT. Even tho it takes up a lot more space the colors are truer and I don't have to color correct the monitor that much. I have been told that you can color correct a LCD and within 5 minutes the color has changed due to the physical makeup of the LCD.

17. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Color co-ordination

The only intractable proposition to match LLD, is co-ordinating all the parts of the color chain. Once you have profiled the camera, monitor, printer and papers, you merely have to co-ordinate them all into one happy family......LOL (retranslated as "lots of luck").

18. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Another remedy

Get two new credit cards, surf the net and see me in the morning...

At least payng off the new credit cards isn't a medical problem.