lens lust indeed.. need opinions/advice

Alright, I'm planning on purchasing these lenses. Mainly the first two listed are priority for a convention I'm going to.

Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Nikkor 12-24 f/4 (Tokina)
Nikkor 10.5 Fisheye (Tokina)
Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8

Still need to buy my D200, SB-600, and Hoya or Tiffen filters..

These are simply the lenses I'm going for, but I'm also looking for opinions I suppose. Mainly the one w/ the Tokina counterpart that I listed. Reason being is that the Tokina 12-24 is cheaper, but I've been reading reviews and both are good. Also, the Nikkor fisheye is f/2.8, but the Tokina is 10-17.. so I'm somewhat in a dilemma because the first has the option of being cheaper, and the latter has the option between f/2.8 and zoom capability. Any opinions?

Ahh I'm also looking for advice about shooting convention/trade show. I'm going to be traveling to Las Vegas for the Magic Fashion Show and any possible pointers and advice would be wonderful.

T

TVayos

I have shot magic six times over the last three years for a few apparel magazines. My assignment it to cover around 150 companies exhibiting at the show, "buyers and sellers working together". It is a very big show so I tend to travel lite, usually with only one lens my 18-70 nikkor. Its very light weight and sharp enough for my purposes. By then end of four days it feels like a boat anchor. I use the in camera flash and it has worked great.

On occasion I have been asked to cover the fashion runway shows in the main entrance or evening events this lens has worked well. Its wide enough and long enough for everything they throw at me.

The focal length 17-55 will cover you. My advice is to book the Hilton next to the convention center. You do not have that far to go after the show is over.

I have toyed with the idea of buying an SB-800 for distance shots but have found that the in camera flash on my D70s is more then I need. The additional flash unit would also have to be carried on the outside, preventing me from putting my camera in its protective small shoulder case. MAGIC has tens of thousands of people attending it, I am usually bumped half a dozen times a day.

Good luck. Hope I helped.

I can see London from the bathroom window
did you consider the tam 11-18 or Sig 10-20 instead of the 12-24 ... seems like a more logical fit in with that super duper 17-55, 12-24 is a lot of overlap,

Or 12-24 / 28-70 / 70-200 ... I think most people could live with the missing 25/26/27mm

Like wise, I must be missing something with the 28-70 if you are adding it to 17-55 & 70-200 ... the 55-70 is a tiny gap, plug it with a 50/1.8 or a 85/1.8 as an optional extra perhaps??

Curve ball on dSLR lust:
D200 + 17-55
D200 + 70-200

2x D200s instead of the other lenses????

I have shot magic six times over the last three years for a few apparel magazines. My assignment it to cover around 150 companies exhibiting at the show, "buyers and sellers working together". It is a very big show so I tend to travel lite, usually with only one lens my 18-70 nikkor. Its very light weight and sharp enough for my purposes. By then end of four days it feels like a boat anchor. I use the in camera flash and it has worked great.

On occasion I have been asked to cover the fashion runway shows in the main entrance or evening events this lens has worked well. Its wide enough and long enough for everything they throw at me.

The focal length 17-55 will cover you. My advice is to book the Hilton next to the convention center. You do not have that far to go after the show is over.

I have toyed with the idea of buying an SB-800 for distance shots but have found that the in camera flash on my D70s is more then I need. The additional flash unit would also have to be carried on the outside, preventing me from putting my camera in its protective small shoulder case. MAGIC has tens of thousands of people attending it, I am usually bumped half a dozen times a day.

Good luck. Hope I helped.

Ahhh Thanks for the advice. Is there any particular setting you put it on?

did you consider the tam 11-18 or Sig 10-20 instead of the 12-24 ... seems like a more logical fit in with that super duper 17-55, 12-24 is a lot of overlap,

Or 12-24 / 28-70 / 70-200 ... I think most people could live with the missing 25/26/27mm

Like wise, I must be missing something with the 28-70 if you are adding it to 17-55 & 70-200 ... the 55-70 is a tiny gap, plug it with a 50/1.8 or a 85/1.8 as an optional extra perhaps??

Curve ball on dSLR lust:
D200 + 17-55
D200 + 70-200

2x D200s instead of the other lenses????

It does seem more like a logical fit, but it didn't cross my mind I suppose. I'll look into it. Somehow I feel like I might get Nikon...

Overlap isn't a bad thing, I find myself using the 24mm end of my 12-24 just as much as the 12mm end as it makes it a more versatile lens overall. Out of all the super-wide zooms I'd get the Tokina now, unless you can get a good Nikon for cheap. Otherwise I don't think its worth the extra for a little less CA and poorer build quality (and I have the Nikon!), they are both just as sharp.

Likewise with the 28-70, its not as useful focal length as the 17-55, regardless of overlap. Unless you have two cameras, you don't want to be changing lenses all the time. Personally I don't find 28-70mm a good DX crop range (45-105mm) as I like shooting wide.

If you're just shooting at trade conventions and shooting with the flash on the top of the camera, then the difference between a SB600 and SB800 aren't worth it, invest in a battery pack for the SB600 to get better recycling times instead.

T

TVayos

I usually run the camera on program mode or manual mode and make adjustments according to the situation and the lighting. The booths all have different lighting. I spend most of my time in Program mode.

My white balance is either on shade or auto -1 or -2 (warmer pictures).

I shoot the camera in normal. Iso 200 unless doing runway shows. Then it depends on my sitting position and how fast the models are moving.

On another note, find out the PR companies of the booths you want to get inside of before the show and let them know you are coming. If your not on the list or know someone their they will probably send you packing. All the major companies have closed booths. You have to get a special pass at the show to take pictures. The press room upstairs has them.

Alright, I'm planning on purchasing these lenses. Mainly the first two listed are priority for a convention I'm going to.

Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8
Nikkor 12-24 f/4 (Tokina)
Nikkor 10.5 Fisheye (Tokina)
Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8

I've got a similar kit. I've never seen a 10.5 Tokina, but the Nikon version is a lot of fun. I've also been debating a 17-35/55 lens as well, but I really don't NEED it right now. The 28-70 is amazing, and if I need to go wider, the Tokina 12-24 works wonders. Be warned though: if you plan on carrying around all that gear (with a D200 body and flash) at the same time, you're going to make yourself miserable. I carried around that setup for 8 hours/2 consecutive days while shooting a music festival, and but the end of each day my neck and back were so sore that I could barely turn my head.

So is anyone else able to give their opinion about a particular lens? In particular, the 12-24 & Fisheye opinion would be good.

Is the Nikon 12-24 really worth the extra $400? I heard the Tokina has slightly better build. And for the fisheye, is the Tokina better because it is able to zoom? 10-17 I believe.

I have the Nikon and I believe its a little better with CA, but the Tokina is just as sharp and is better built, although I recently dropped my Nikon onto concrete from waist level (dropped onto lens cap so no damage to the lens thankfully!), and its still as sharp as ever.

Tell me if I am wrong but is this your first venture into this stuff? I mean do you have any other Nikon gear already? I know this is a Nikon forum and all, but given the kit you are considering and if you don't already have Nikon equipment, I am not so sure that Canon wouldn't be a better choice for jumping in especially as you look not to be too constrained by a budget and you are not exactly jumping in on the shallow end looking at the line-up you propose.

N

nemofin

nikkor 12-24 is not badly build, the build is just great in my opinion.
Feels almost as good as mine 17-55/2.8.

12-24 is one of my favourite lenses, the wide angle is great and its very sharp. Definetly a keeper!

Alright well I purchased my 17-55 from Normans and my D200 from Adorama. Has anyone had experience w/ Adorama? Yes I know and read reviews from bizrate/resellerratings, but I also want to know how come it takes them awhile to process stuff? Like I ordered my camera on Tuesday around 11 PST. I checked my order information on their website and it just said processing.

T

TVayos

I found that many stores in the city ship some of their products out of a different location. I purchased a prime from B&H and they had to ship it to me from somewhere else.

from what I've heard, the tokina fisheye is not all that sharp. its not very popular and I've only heard about it from two people, and both returned it.

the tokina 12-24 is a great lens. love mine.

I also agree about the 28-70 being overkill if you already have the 17-55 and 70-200. as others have said I would get, (and actually plan to do just this)

10.5 nikon
12-24 tokina
28-70 2.8 nikon
35 2.0 nikon (decently fast "normal lens")
50 1.4 nikon (very fast slight tele lens.)
60 2.8 Micro
70-200 2.8 VR nikon
1.7 TCE II

and you could get all those lens for almost exactly the same price as your first list. with that kit you could shoot almost anything on earth in style. (except maybe BIF although the 70-200 w TC would be useable for that)

Alright well I purchased my 17-55 from Normans and my D200 from Adorama. Has anyone had experience w/ Adorama? Yes I know and read reviews from bizrate/resellerratings, but I also want to know how come it takes them awhile to process stuff? Like I ordered my camera on Tuesday around 11 PST. I checked my order information on their website and it just said processing.

Adorama is an excellent, reliable and well-priced place to order online - as is B&H, based on my many transactions with both of them.

The reason for your "delay" is likely common to both of them: a religious holiday, during which orders neither accepted nor processed. A huge backlog likely accrues . . .

I think that Tuesday was Tisha B`Av - if I've copied that correctly from their website - and that the preceding evening was also a holiday.

Rest assured that if your order experience is anything like mine (and I've had many with both of them), your order will be processed quickly, you will be supplied with a tracking number as soon as possible, and your gear might even arrive a day ahead of schedule.

Eric

^^ I appreciate the feedback. Hopefully that is the case.

I did decide to email them and just inquire to find out how come it is taking so long.. this was the reply from customer service..

On 7/26/07, Adorama - Info <info@adorama.com> wrote: Dear sir
Please ship in a day or so

Latest threads

Top Bottom