lens or camera?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by sypher, Mar 30, 2007.

1. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    After taking some pictures the other day, I noticed that in some of the pictures the focus was off. So I looked at them in nx showing the focus area and indeed it appears to be off. What would cause this? Is it the camera or the lens? Or am I just plain crazy (I would prefer this option out of the three :biggrin: )

Mom out of focus, son on left in focus
    [​IMG]

Face out of focus, pants in focus
    [​IMG]

Mom face soft, neck and baby in focus
    [​IMG]

Mom face soft, left side of neck and should in focus
    [​IMG]

I hope that you can see what I am talking about in these samples.
    What is the problem? What is the fix?

2. Test with your other lens for misfocus. Put your camera on your tripod and autofocus, take the picture, then manually focus and shoot, and see what your results are. Change lenses and see if the focus points are continuously off. That should give you something to start with.

3. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Did you do "focus and recompose"?

4. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Thinking about it I am convinced that it is my 85 1.8. I've been using my 28-80 a lot lately and haven't noticed any focus issues with it.
    I forgot to mention that I was using my tripod at the time.

Jimmy, I will be sure to do that tomorrow just to make sure.

Carroll, I wish I had focussed and recomposed. I was behind the camera the entire time, I focussed and took the picture. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Print on the chart linked on this page

6. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Actually, I was going to suggest focusing and recomposing was the source of the problem.

For starters, I heard the "recorded" focus point will not be accurate if you do focus and recompose. The NEF only records which focus point you used. So, if you used the center AF point, but moved to the left (without refocusing), and fired off a shot, then the NEF would record the center AF point used. That isn't the "real" focus point though (it is a bit to the right now, since you moved to the left).

Secondarly, you can run into serious parallax issues with shallow DoF with focus and recompose.

http://visual-vacations.com/Photography/focus-recompose_sucks.htm

7. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Thanks, I'll give it a try

Carroll,
    I understood what you said about focusing and recomposing...I was implying that I wish focusing and recomposing was the problem instead of what I am starting to believe is a lens problem. I would rather it be technique vs. equipment.
    I do appreciate your input:biggrin: