1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens prices and overindulgence

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kgill, Aug 26, 2008.

1. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I just got my NIB 35mm f/1.4 AIS from Chamster and am SO amazed by the image quailty, that I just bought a SECOND ONE for my husband. This is following my husband's purchase of a 50mm f/1.2 AIS.

By PURE chance, I happened to check out the prices of these lenses at B&H and KEH. I had been looking for them for a while and they have been not-in-stock for MONTHS (in the USA). Now I see that the prices of the used 50mm f/1.2 AIS ranges from $499-$599 (EX to LN-) at KEH, and the 35mm f/1.4 AIS is at $645 for used EX+ (and $649 at B&H). New, the USA 50mm f/1.2 AIS (now listed as back-ordered) is at $579 and the USA 35mm f/1.4 AIS is at a whopping $899. [and both of these AIS are listed as back-ordered now, and according to Nikon website are listed as special order only]. I am pretty certain that the 35mm f/1.4 lens, new USA, was nowhere near that much before, that it was in the neighborhood of low 700s. And I noticed that the Sigma 10-20mm is listed at $569 at B&H now, whereas previously it was $499...

I get that maybe Sigma is repricing to compete with the Tokina, but what gives with the manual focus Nikons? If KEH is listing a LN- at $20 above B&H's *new* price, then something must be weird, because they usually have the same prices on new stuff...don't they? At least for the stuff I've looked at in the past...

If new AF versions of these lenses are coming out, why would it make their prices sky rocket? Have any other Nikon lenses increased in price that you've noticed?? I haven't been around the photography world long enough to know anything about fluctuating prices...

THANKS!
    kristina

2. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    Very interesting observations. I've read rumors of new Nikon primes and the prices being much higher than the previous versions. I understand that these are just rumors, but perhaps it could raise the prices of other primes too ? I don't know....time will tell. :confused: 

3. I think the price increases reflect some economic problems in the US, weak dollar, etc. Sigma apparently increased US pricing across the board.

4. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    yes, but are other Nikon lens prices increasing? I have only noticed the prices of these because I've been interested in them for a long time. And also since PFORSELL noted that Yodobashi is selling the 50mm f/1.2 new for close to $420 because it is discounted 25%, I wondered if production of these lenses is stopping, and therefore they are just special order only (obviously a store like b&h can make special orders bc they know they'll sell them)

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    and people used to tell me golf was an expensive hobby.......:cool: 

6. Might be due to the FX revolution :D 

7. Hotplate

Hotplate

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Seems like I remember reading on Thom Hogan's site where he was predicting we would see some higher prices later in the year due to the value of the US dollar, etc.

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the 400vr is down to 7899 (from 8799) so some are coming down

9. Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Aug 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.