Lens Problem

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Minuteman3, Apr 19, 2007.

1. I have a friend who appears to have a problem with a lens and asked for my help. I'm stumped other than saying, yup ... there's a problem!!

It's a AF Nikkor 35-70 f3.3-4.5. They are using it on a D70s, but I tested it on my D80. Something is really messing up the exposure and blowing highlights. Here are two pix. Both were taken within seconds of each other. I used my 18-135 in P mode, then the 35-70 in manual at exactly the same settings. (ISO200, f8, 1/250) These are totally unretouched.

This is my 18-135:

p266099359-4.

Here's the 35-70:

View attachment 91456

Since it's pretty clear that something is amiss ... is this a setting problem? Lens needs repair? Or ????

(I'm obviously stumped!!)

The 35-70 appears to be in essentially "brand new" condition with no visible damage at all.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    My guess would be something in the aperture is amiss. I'd guess that the lens isn't stopping down. DOF preview might confirm this. Either that, take the 35-70 on manual and take a series of shots, each time, increase the f stop. If they all look the same, the aperture setting on the camera isn't getting to the lens. Could be a broken spring, you could take the lens and push at the aperture lever on the rear, or could be electronic.
    Ok, I guess I didn't read the post carefully, my bad.
    I'd still suggest doing the test with the 35-70, on manual, and do a series, compare results to what I said above.

3. Good idea ... I think a bad result.

Took some in manual at ISO200, 1/250 and at f3.5, 4, 8, 11, 16, and 22. All were essentially identical. The ones at 16 and 22 were marginally darker, but the cloudy sky was still blown out.

Thanks ... I'll have some time later in the day to look closer at the lens itself.

Cheers!!

Ken

4. I had an issue with an old 28-80 lens that had sat around unused. It did have an issue with not stopping down enough. So while it reported a certain aperture, it was actually shooting more open with the result being overexposed photos. My guess is your friend's lens had not been used in a while?

5. As Baywing suggested you can look at the aperature by setting the lens to it's smallest aperature (f16 or f22) and with the lens pointing away from you, and the aperature numbers on the top in the normal position, the aperature lever will be at the 3 o'clock position. Quickly flick the lever upwards and release it. Looking through the lens, the blades should respond quickly with no hesitation. If they seem sluggish or slow reacting, the lens may need cleaned. You could compare the action to that of your lens which is working properly.

Good luck!!

6. Good call, folks. I stopped it down and it's like watching something in S-L-O-W motion ...

And my personal lenses are virtually instantaneous.

Thanks so much for the assistance.

Now, to give 'em the "good" news ...

Cheers!!

Ken