Lens shade and Filters

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by davewolfs, Jun 2, 2007.

1. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Hey folks,

I know as a rule of thumb a lens hood should always be used when shooting outdoors. That said, what should you do when using filters? I am considering purchasing a Lee hood but they are expensive and I am not sure if it is worth it.

I am sure many of you cope without this setup, so what do you do to shade your lens when using filters? How important is it to shade your lens?

Thanks,

Dave

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Opinion varies on this, but I keep a UV filter on all of my lenses unless I use a CP or other filter. I also use the supplied hood. This is only an issue when using a CP or other variable effect filter.

I took 101 shots at my grandson's end of school swim partyy, and used a CP on my Tamron 28-75. I left the hood off early on so I could adjust the filter easier, but I soon realized that the setting didn't need to be changed, so I attached the hood. Even with the hood attached, I could reach in with a finger to tweak the setting if needed.

3. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    Let me be a little more specific.

The type of filters that I am using are 4x6 Graduated ND's or 4x4 ND's. They attach on via an adapter. So mounting the manufacturers lens shade in this case is unfortunately not an option.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Since a large, externally mounted filter will catch lots of stray light, it will increase the amount of non-image light in your picture. You know, flare, reflections, blobs... So if you want to reduce these a properly fit hood is the answer. Only you can say what that is worth to your style of photo. I find it fun to play with flare sometimes.