1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens soft on one side, sharp on the other

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by carauction, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Anyone else ever experience this? When I fill my frame with subject at 2000mm on my 80-200 AF-D, one side of the focus point is soft and one sharp. Now I am not talking about front or back focus, this is left side and right side when shooting regular horizontally.

Testing this, I can shoot a brick wall head on, square to my camera..no angle. Any F-stop.

mike

2. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    Sounds like one of your lens elements or an elements group got tilted/misaligned.
    Are you still within the warranty period?

3. Thanks Glenn. Actually, I have been very lucky making a nice contact at Nikon. They have never charged me yet for anything, warranty or not.

Must be my good looks:cool: 

Mike

4. I'd definitely bring it in. That should not happen

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    It's called a decentered lens and it is very common.

6. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    2000mm? I think the problem may be with your 10x teleconverter :wink:

What version of the 80-200 is this? I had purchased a brand new 80-200 from a local store (2 ring AF-D) and it was horribly soft over 150mm at any F-stop. They disagreed but it was plainly obvious. I didn't want to risk sending it to Nikon and them telling me it was "normal" and getting stuck with a $900 lens that shot like a Holga so I returned it and picked up a 70-200.

I previously had the newest push/pull version and it was STUNNING at any focal length. I just don't think the build quality of the 80-200 "D" is what it should be. For a "pro" lens the quality seems awfully spotty from my experience and what I have read online.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i tend to agree. but even a subtle bump of the lens can knock it out of whack:eek: 

8. Thanks all.......

Guess I will upload a couple of images to Nikon. Hopefully, there won't be a need to send in my new D3 also? I don't see this problem with my other lenses.

Mike

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.