1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens stacking for macro

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by preludeimages, Sep 25, 2008.

1. I can't figure out what piece I need to mount my 50 1.8 reversed to the front of another lens. I have a br2a. I thought the obvious choice was a br3 but it doesn't seem to do it. Am I missing something or is this a job for duct tape?

2. OdDoF

OdDoF

Sep 12, 2008
    Norway
    Hi Anthony

The BR-2A is for reverse mounting a lens directly on the camera. The BR-3 can then be put on the reversed lens and allows you to put a filter on it, generally for protecting the rear element of the reversed lens.

I like to reverse mount my 50mm lenses since they give a very large aperture macro setup, perfect for dreamy flower pictures like the one below. I highly recommend the cheap BR-2A for those who have primes lenses with 52mm filter threads.

2473683023_f1c3335f99.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you want to reverse the 50mm lens on another lens that is mounted on a camera you need another adapter, or use can use duct tape. The reversed lens then act like a diopter. Such a lens mating/reversal adapter can be found for a low price at the bay of wonders. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Best regards,
    OdDoF

3. I already have a br2a. I need to know the mane/number of other said adapter. Essentially it would be the threaded side of the br2a on booth sides. Does it exist?

4. OdDoF

OdDoF

Sep 12, 2008
    Norway
    As far as I know, Nikon does not produce such adapters. But many other do. Just google 'reverse lens coupler' and look for the filter size that you desire for your specific lenses.

Best regards,
    OdDoF

5. Jeff Jarvis

Jeff Jarvis

Sep 10, 2007
    Thailand
    I read somewhere that you can buy to cheap filters, remove the glass and epoxy them together.
    Sounds like a good idea.

6. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
  7. garyosborne

garyosborne Guest

Macro coupler - has male threads both sides. I use mine with loads of stepdown rings that allows me to reverse my 50mm (52mm thread) on my 150mm (72mm thread) for 3:1 mag

8. Thanks for the link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.