Lens Storage

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kgill, Sep 27, 2008.

1. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Hi,

As I've begun to accumulate several lenses, I was wondering what is the best way to store them-- in a case, if you have one? If not, how? With the front element down, serving as the base? I think that's how, for example the 17-35mm case holds the lens... I just want to make sure I'm keeping them correctly. For most of the lenses, I have cases, but a couple, like the Tokina 11-16, which came without one, and for which I forgot to buy one, I keep it in its original box when I am not using it...

Thanks for your help!

2. Make sure they're cool and dry, with caps, and they'll be fine. I've kept mine in camera bags for about 30 years in various orientations, and they've all been just fine.

3. I have a camera dresser. One large drawer for lenses, another for tripods and monopods and a few for boxes and other stuff. Works well, and if there was ever a break-in, it's quite discrete.

I put bubble wrap down in the lens drawer.

4. i have a drybox for mine, still saving to getting one of those electric dryboxes

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I guess it's discreet until they open the drawer...!!! Thinking to find a wad of cash in the sock drawer but instead find a jackpot! I'm not worried about theft of the lenses, as it is much more cost effective to insure the lenses than to install a safe large enough to hold the equipment... But it would be nice to have a nice container for them like a dresser. I like that idea.

6. HydraShok

HydraShok

Sep 20, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am pretty sure thieves check drawers pretty much always

7. AviSys

AviSys

Mar 31, 2008
    Placitas, NM
    >>>>
    In the Philippines, Guam, Panama, Louisiana, etc., etc., a VERY good idea. Elsewhere, non-tropical, probably no need.

8. carlsson

carlsson

Jul 29, 2006
    Recommendations from Zeiss to avoid fungus:

Store between 30 and 60% humidity
    NOT in leather, wood or textiles
    expose to sunlight for fungus prevention

Carlsson

9. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    hmmmmmm but my nikon lens case is leather outside and...felt (?) inside.
    also what about all those lens cases by lowepro etc. are those considered textile?

what's left if not leather, wood, or textile? styrofoam (or cardboard like the packaging?)?

10. I use a Pelican 1620. Just love it and it stores all the lenses flash, filters etc that are in my sig, with room for more as well... It is a large wheeled thing... I have two "rechargeable" silica packs as well...

11. I'm also a fan of Pelicans for storage. Zooms in one, primes in another, accesories in a third. For me, it keeps things organized.

12. carlsson

carlsson

Jul 29, 2006
    As for fungus, if you keep your glass dry and use it regularly, no evil will happen. Just don't store and forget in uncertain conditions.

I don't use the nikon leather cases but because of the handling. Camera bags which are mostly synthetics might not fall under the Zeiss bann. Pelis with silica are fine (but closing in wet lenses would be a bad idea).

Anything containing foam should be kept an eye on because most species tend to crumble over the years.

Carlsson

13. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    oh maybe i should be ok...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.