Lens Storage

I have a few questions about lens storage.
Yesterday I picked up a canon FD 50/1.4 and a Nikkor 180/2.8. I also picked up a canon AE1 and some lenses at a junk shop.

The lenses that came with the canon have some rather extensive fungal growth, and I do not want to deal with that fungus spreading or causing problems. To treat that fungus, I blasted them with light from a flatbed scanner a few times, and they spend about 30 minutes in the sun every few hours at the moment. As they will be BW only, the fungus shouldn't provide too much trouble.

My question is, how do you store your lenses? Some lenses I see are 20 years old and dont have a mark, no fungus, little dust and sit in a crappy closet for 15 of those years. Other lenses have fungus in them after 2 years of moderate use it seems.

I bought some plastic bags and some silica gels that have a fungicide in them to store my lenses when they are not in use, but I am a little worried. I do not want to lose a lens to fungus when it is is easy to avoid.

Is it as simple as that? Plastic bags with silica? Cuz that would make me very happy.

Daniel

I do not have any old lenses, however I keep my lenses in my camera bag at all times with the lens caps unless they are being used. I try to throw a few of those silica gel packs in there from sneakers. None of my lenses have any fungus issues, but from what I understand, that develops over long periods of time.

I live in Nevada so I don't have to worry about fungus but I keep them in clean camera bags all the time.

I live in a very humid area of Japan, so proper lens care has become kind of an issue. I bought some silica and will be bagging all my lenses into small plastic bags while they sit and wait. I use all of my lenses regularly, which should prevent trouble as they are always out and about. Sunlight and snapping. I just would rather not buy the same lens again later because i didnt properly care for my stuff.

Just go to your local camera shop, and ask how others are doing.

I'm in California, and I don't have any issues. In fact, I have 12 lenses just sitting on my desk rihgt now.:biggrin:

Just go to your local camera shop, and ask how others are doing.

The problem with doing that is they try to sell you the $400 lens safe. It keeps the lenses at proper temperature and dehumidifies and whatnot. I really do not want to go that route as I know that proper lens care is much simpler than throwing more money. I already dodge most of the cost buy buying old AI lenses for my cameras.

They are cool though. One is an actual safe with huge combination wheel. Really fun, but totally unnecessary. I could buy another 6 lenses for 400 bucks. (I buy Canon FD lenses too for the lint in my pocket)

Daniel

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
I have (and use) a few lenses of about 35 years old. After I bought them, I used them. Never even thought about how to store them. Mostly just threw them into my bag and then the bag under my bed or something like that. Never had any problem with them. I live near the sea and there's almost always a bit moisture in the air. Used them on the beach with wind (sand!), in the winter in snow and cold.
As I see it, if you take a bit care with Nikon lenses, they'll survive you without any problem.
(Don't know about the nowadays plastic stuff, it works well, but durability??)

Latest threads

Top Bottom