Lens Storage

Hey it's been a while!

So I've been loving my Z5 to death. It's such a great little camera. The single biggest reason I got it was to make use of some vintage glass I had access to, namely my dad's old Leica rangefinder stuff.

I put a call out to family and friends "Hey if you have any old 35 mm camera lenses you could get rid of, I would be happy to give them a new home." Five people came through and, several adapters later, I've got quite the collection - 17 lenses to play with! Some are really surprisingly great like the Zenit Helios-44M-7 58/2 in M42 mount. But I digress.

Here's the thing. I live small and light. And I don't want to pack them away. Ultimately I want a system where I can easily grab any lens I want and walk out the door with the Z5.

What's a cool way to store lenses that is easily accessible but also protective and doesn't take up a bunch of space? As a collection, they weigh a lot, otherwise I could imagine a nice wall hanging micro cabinet with clear doors... Or do I just settle for the obvious camera bag choice?

Ernst

Real Name
Dan
I store mine in three or four large dry bags with re-usable packs of silica gel in the bags. The ones that I use most are in a backpack with a couple packs of silica get in there. The silica gel is easily recharged by putting it in the oven for a couple of hours. Of course time between recharges is dependent an relative humidity.

My camera body and (currently) eight lenses for my A7R IV are stored in a large armoire in my living room, and it's a simple matter of opening one of the doors and grabbing the A7R IV and whichever lens I think will best do the shooting job I'm about to undertake. When I'm done, the camera body and the lens go right back into the cabinet until the next time. I also keep my RX10 IV and my RX100 VII in there, too. Another shelf houses my external SSDs, and another is for miscellaneous this-and-that electronic stuff.

When I'm actually going out somewhere to shoot beyond my own neighborhood I then put the camera, extra batteries, extra memory cards, and lenses that I think I'll need into one of my camera bags, and of course much depends upon the particular excursion/destination and what I anticipate shooting as to which and how many lenses I take along.

Real Name
Andy
Enbarassingly, I keep all my vintage lenses in flat padded trays with dividers on a shelf behind me in my office. No temperature or humidity control other than the air-conditioning in my house. When I feel the urge to use one, I grab it and the the appropriate adapter and mount it on a camera. I figure these lenses have seen more abuse in their first few decades of existence than I have subjected them to in more recent decades. And, in spite of it all, they are each a joy to use in their way!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom