1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens Suggestion

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by allstar25, Jul 7, 2008.

1. I'm am fixing to acquire a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 which will be used mainly for sports. I am going ahead and thinking about my next purchase. I want something sub-$1000. New or used probably won't matter. This lens needs to be suitable for indoor and outdoor sports (baseball, softball, volleyball, and basketball).
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. The used value for a 28-70mm f2.8 AF-S (Beast) should be coming down now that the 24-70mm is out. This was a excellent lens before the 24-70 came out and it is still an excellent lens. This is my go-to lens indoors and out.

3. vz223

vz223

Dec 7, 2007
    NJ
    I'll second Bill. 28-70mm will compliment the 70-200 well.

4. I like the sugesstion. It will be good for indoor sports to i suppose.

5. Any suggestions?

6. I read your note as "after" acquiring the 70-200, what's next. I would think that the 70-200 would in fact do indoor and outdoor sports. Maybe I'm misreading your post .....as it would seem your covered.

I would actually look either to the 28-70 or 12-24 for a wider angle view of things, OR a fast (f1.4) lens for low light....

Ted

7. The beast is a great lens and higly recommended... just another thought, how about a 1.4 TC??
    Cheers
    Rob

8. The Ben

The Ben

Oct 17, 2007
    Houston, Tx
    I have sold all my 'extra' lenses since I bough my 28-70 'beast'. Now I'm down to my 50 1.4, 10-20 sigma, 28-70 which is now my walk around, and my 70-200 VR. Just ordered a Tamron 90 macro too. Should be good for a few months

9. Tpsfoto

Tpsfoto

Jun 15, 2008
    Las Vegas NV
    It is not sub $1000.00 ....but you need a 300 F2.8 .....sports need the longer lenses
    The older 300's could be just right for you at less than $2000.00

10. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I agree that saving up for a 300 is your best bet, but would like to offer another suggestion, as well. Indoor sports often require a faster aperture than 2.8. I use the 85 1.8 a lot for gasketball, volleyball, etc. It can be purchased for around 300 used and would be invaluable for indoor sports.

11. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

That is a great lens, but with the release of a second FX camera body, do not look for attractive used glass to go down. In the world of $4.00 gas in the U.S., nothing is going down.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.