1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens suggestions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by babaman001, Aug 9, 2008.

1. babaman001

babaman001

Jul 26, 2008
    NZ
    Is the AF 35mm f/2 really that good? I have not shot one before, but how is it compared to the AF 28mm f/2.8? Is it worth getting the 35mm when one has a 28mm?

I'm thinking of getting a macro lens, at the moment I am using a reverse ring BR2a / extension tubes to get the close-up shots. However the DOF is so thin, one slight camera movement and the subject is out of focus.
    Will this happen with a dedicated macro lens like the highly praised Tamron 90mm?

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    The Tamron 90 will reproduce at a maximum ratio of 1:1, with the reverse mounting you get a far higher ration than that. Therefore when the Tamron is used you will have more DoF to work with.

I'd prefer the 35/2 to the 28/2.8 personally, it focuses pretty close (not as close as a proper macro lens though) and gives you an extra stop of light to work with.

3. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    The effect of your camera movement increases with magnification and focal length.

If you are using a tamron at 1:1 (close) you will likely not be able to hand hold. This is why tripods are generally considered required for true macro photography.

As far as the 28 vs 35 I can't say. I had the 35 for normal usage and swapped for the sigma 30 1.4.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.