1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

lens taunting! wouldn't you know it

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Doug, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    2 threads on the 200-400VR on page 1, as if taunting me for maybe making a wrong decision selling mine. It ships hopefully today to a cafe member. Sigh. I loved the lens, but felt I might be better suited for the 300. I've contemplated this move for so long, shoot, even before I got the 200-400VR I came very close to buying Keith's 300 2.8, I guess it was inevitable that it would happen eventually. Almost traded twice, wound up not doing so for one reason or another.

So, I sadly depart with my 200-400 to Yi, but I eagerly await the 300 2.8 from Joe, to see what joy it brings me.

I love my 200VR, if the 300VR 2.8 is similar, I should be very happy with or without a TC attached. I have a bit of spare cash, a great lens, and maybe will be forced to make better shots with a prime. Sometimes, my compositions improve with primes, as more thought has to go into it for me anyway.

Oh well, if it's the wrong decision, I guess I can go back the other way later. We've done that a time or two, huh? LOL.

I will say I've dealt with two great guys on these deals, one going away, and one coming my way... Now, the shippers get their part.

Doug

2. Doug, that is the chose I would make. There is something about the 2.8 of the 300. I have the non VR version with TC's and love it.

All the best
    Nancy

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Doug, I had the same thing right after I sold my Sigma 120-300 2.8. It was a great lens. But I just wanted the 300 2.8 VR. But a thread ran with everyone talking about the 120-300. I was thinking, why did I do this. I have the 300 in hand now, and even thought the 120-300 is a great lens. You could not take the 300 away from me.

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I guess it's murphy at work. I've seen this happen every time I sell a lens. Beast, yup, 18-200, yup, lol. (FYI, I bought both those back)

hopefully mine ships Wednesday, funds went out today via priority mail...

I am really not going to freak out anyway, as it would likely be easy enough in time to go back the other way if I really wanted to, right? So, no worries, it's all good, 300 2.8, bring it on!

Doug

5. I suspect you will be quite happy when the 300 arrives

6. yifeng

yifeng

Jan 23, 2007
    IL
    Doug, thanks for shipping it out today. Too late to regret :)  Can't wait to try it out this weekend. Bought a sidekick from John yesterday and ordered a Arca Swiss Z-1 and a RRS monopod head. I'm all set.

7. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Thanks Dave, I think so too.

Yi, well, it's never to late for regets, and when you have another lens people also want, it's easy enough to go back the other way, several of us have done that already. Just have to wait on the lens sometimes. But as luck would have it, these do show up occasionally, so patience would be the key.

But I am not second guessing my decision at this point. For me, I think it will prove to be the right decision. But everyone's needs vary a bit. The speed will be awesome to stop kayak action in the smokies for example or to shoot deer in low light situations in the smokies. Who knows, maybe I'll make the cover of some kayak mag someday. :) 

see my gallery for my first full rapids sequence shoot. Dave saw it already.

Anyway, it will be fun to try the 300, even if expensive if I decide I got to go back. Nothing ventured, nothing gained though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.