Lens Test: 80-200mm/Kenko 1.4x combo

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Uncle Frank, Mar 2, 2005.

1. I don't like using test charts, so I settled a slightly more challenging subject. The shot was taken with the
    AFD 2 ring version of the 80-200mm f/2.8, and the Kenko Pro 1.4x tc, using a monopod and flash. The
    sample is a 100% crop, with no levels adjustments sharpening, or processing of any sort. And the
    camera was the d70.

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well Frank, you seem to be really pleased with yourself, and well you should be.... :lol: :lol:

Very nice shot!! I'm very impresssed by the Kenko 1.4 TC.

Frank

3. Flew, I'm just trying to convince myself that I don't need a d2x or more glass.

It's a losing battle :twisted: .

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey, I know the feeling. I've been doing a pretty good job of controlling my urges for the past several months, but several times have come within a whisker of ordering a CF tripod that I don't need (but I want it sooo bad....;-)).

Maybe we need to form an equipment-lust-a-holics anonymous chapter to provide each other support.... :p :p

Frank

5. Those are really interesting looking creatures up close. What a great shot!!

6. Thanks, Dawg! Hummers are awesome creatures. Be careful about photographing them... it's addictive :twisted:

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    That's a super picture of an up close hummer. I also noticed the little legs tucked up under him..barely see those. I'm hoping to become addicted this summer when I have them swarming my lake cottage. I will really get serious about them up there and will have many questions for you as I progress through the summer..

I never get tired of your hummingbird pictures!

Gaye

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Pretty darn good, can we see the edited version now?

I think you're gonna like that combo. The pic looks real good for being unsharpeded. Are you saying you shot this in JPG w/sharpening turned completely off in-cam?? Will you show us what it looks like after you've edited it, esp sharpened it? You don't need to show it @100% either. The usual size will do just fine. :lol:

9. Re: Pretty darn good, can we see the edited version now?

The in-camera sharpening was set to normal, Steve. Here's the picture, after post processing.

10. Very impressive hummer image Frank. You always seem to have a nice dark background for your images that really makes them stand out. What is back there that gives you that?

11. WOW, UF you have really out-done yourself in the second image. I'll say it again....what a great shot! :shock: :D

Two smileys for you, my man!!

12. I generally compose for the background. In this case, it was afternoon sunlight filtering through the trees in
    my neighbor's yard, about 40 feet behind the subject. I made sure to underexpose it through my manual
    settings, and relied on multiple flash heads to illuminate the hummer. The narrow DOF (less than an inch) of
    the 80-200 focused on a subject 7 feet away ensured the background would have an abstract appearance.

13. Thanks, Dawg. I'll add them to my collection!

Wonder how many I have to accumulate before I can trade the smilies for a lens?

14. Let me give a hand here Frank :D :D :lol: :lol: :eek: :) :p
    How about that, do they last for a 200mm f/2 !!! :?

Great Great shot BTW, amazing quality... I better have an eye for the Kenko... it's being hanging for a long-long time in my B&H wish list... :?

15. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Stunning Frank!

Not a lot more I can say really - just stunning.

Neil

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

17. Hi, Paul! I have the non-AF-S version of the 80-200, so the Kenko was my best alternative.