Lens tips on shooting cars

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Rich Gibson, Jul 22, 2005.

1. This weekend there will be a British car show in Alexandria, VA. Any tips on lenses or shooting angles?

Thanks, Rich

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The list of tips is long, probably because I am an old gear head from my younger days...

1. So called "3/4 shot": face the left-front corner of the car, then either knee down or stand on a platform of some sort to shoot the angle from a higher view. F-stop might be best between f/5.6-f/8.

2. Shoot along the left rear fender toward the front of the car to show the tail light, exhaust tip, chrome detailing, etc. Same technique, but shoot from the front fender toward the back.

3. Capture exterior emblems...MG, Astin Martin, SS396...with some fender/hood showing some color.

4. Close-up of the disc brake caliper through the wheel/spokes. Try to get the center cap/spinner if possible.

5. Open the left door and shoot the driver's seat and dashboard.

6. Engine compartment...chrome, chrome, chrome...'nuff said!

7. Hood ornaments are cool

8. Tail fins are too cool....57/59 Chevy, etc.

9. Gas caps if they are exposed or flip open.

10. Shoot straight on into the front of the vehicle, lay down...stop down to f/2.8 with your 70-200mm VR to blur out everything behind the grill.

11. Any special details...louvers, vents, pin stripping, side-view mirrors, fuzzy dice...

I hope that gives some insight as to what you might consider shooting. It may be fun to shoot head shots of the owners especially if they are wearing their English driving caps...that is so cool!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Oh yeah....a great opportunity to use a circular polarizing filter to minimize glares off the chrome and paint!!!

4. OoH YES! Thanks a million. I just bought one for each of my three workhorse lenses. I never would have thought of that.

Rich :lol:

5. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Hello Rich,

Well, I think there isn't much left. You have everything you will need just right there; a wide angle zoomlens and the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. Eng45ine has made a good point there, so don't forget your circular polarization filter :)
    And if this can be a helpful tip (maybe this is completely unnecessary) I won't go for high shutter speeds, if I can I avoid them, the colors and details plus aperture get much better then.

Have blast out there, already looking forward to your pics.

Thumbs up :D

Kind Regards

Johan

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi rich-

avoid going around noontime, sunlight from straight above makes a car look flat and causes harsh shadows. if possible, go early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

ricky

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hay.....great point, Paul. I guess when I was giving the question some thought, I kept forgetting that the subject matter was British autos and not American. But that is very correct...the driver's door may be on the right. Just look for that big, round "thingy" nearest the front seat, that's the place!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:

I am looking forward to seeing some great car pics real soon!