1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

lens upgrade question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by deardoja, Aug 13, 2008.

1. deardoja

deardoja

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
  2. Have you checked KEH. They have a couple used Nikon 80-200's with tripod mount in EX condition for approx $800. They have a 14 day return policy. They are excellent to deal with, IMO. The build quality of the Nikons is outstanding, with the only weakness being the Auto/Manual selector ring has a tendency to crack. Other than that, built like a brick outhouse.

Even the push/pull version enjoys an excellent reputation, but does not have the tripod mount, and can be had for less money.

3. Joe...
    as Tom said above

but....
    as to your question....
    YES..... THAT nikon will be superior to THAT tamron..... 100%

4. I'd second the recommendation of KEH.

I believe build quality of the current 80-200 AF-D is probably better than the Tamron (owned 2 and have not even seen the Tamron).

But having owned a D70 I would look at the Sigma unless you are looking to upgrade the camera body. Take a look at the reviews on DPReview of the Nikon AF-S / Sigma / Tamron. The built in motor on the Sigma is better than that on the Tamron. And it will make a difference on a D70.

5. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    I love my 80-200 and I would highly recommend the extra $$$ for it. You will NOT be disappointed.

6. I don't know anything about the Tammy, but I'd take Greg's word.
    I really Love my 80-200, just damned heavy

Another Vote for KEH as well.
    I've bought several things from them over the last couple of years,
    and have always come away happy.

Best of luck.

7. Hentez

Hentez

Aug 9, 2008
    Columbus OH
  8. Having owned an older version of the Nikon 80-200 I can also say you will not be disappointed with this lens, it is definitely worth the few extra $$.

AM

9. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Bit of a sweeping statement here seeing as you have no idea how the Tamron performs compared to the Nikon -- AFAIK no one has made a direct comparison of them.

I would take with a very big pinch of salt the discussions of some people who blindly recommend Nikon lenses and totally disregarding sometimes superior and cheaper third-party alternatives because of a misguided loyalty to all things Nikon.

From the reviews I've seen, I would say that the Tamron is at least on par with the 80-200 AF-D and possibly better. I wouldn't say the Nikon is worth another $200 unless you must have a Nikon badge on your lens. If you wait a while more reviews of the Tamron will surface as it becomes easier to buy.

10. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Paul, they are two very different lenses. The Tamron 70-200 is a professional f/2.8 telephoto zoom that will deliver some of the best images in that rage. The 18-200 is a consumer superzoom designed for travel use or people who can't be bothered to change lenses.

It all depends on your expectations and what you will use your lens for, if you're going travelling and want to minimise your luggage, the 18-200 is a good choice. However if you're shooting sports or nature mainly at the 200mm end, then the Tamron (and any 55/70-200) zoom will be a much better choice than the 18-200.

11. Hentez

Hentez

Aug 9, 2008
    Columbus OH
    Thanks for the information, I think I am leaning towards the 18-200.

12. deardoja

deardoja

Aug 12, 2008
    Ohio
    All - Thanks for the info.
    I was at the local camera shot and toyed around with the Canon version of the tamron lens and I was impressed with it. Granted, the nikon version is slightly different and of course they didn't have it in yet. As I save my pennies, I'll keep looking for the reviews to come in.
    As Nikon's not paying me to use their gear, I'm not that brand loyal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.