Lens warranty question

Rather new to Nikon coming over from another brand and not quite familiar with all the details of their warranty. Please forgive me if this has been covered before.

I just picked up a lens used that was purchased 6-24-08. While shuffling through the paperwork, I noticed the warranty card along with a 5 years of protection warranty paperwork. Does this paperwork need to be submitted within 10 days of the purchase date in order to obtain the added 4 year warranty? If so, does anybody know how strict the 10 days is? Am I out of luck?

I heard, it is not so strict. It never hurt to try!
Amd another question is, - Do you have to send actual paper card, or registering it online is enough?
I don't like the idea of sending the card with my address and phone number without an evelope to protect it from bad peoples eyes! Nikon must change it some day!

I put mine in an envelope and send it whenever I get one of them. I'm not sure they can deny it as long as you have your copy. Delivery is outside of our control so it could be argued both ways. It would be in their best interest from a goodwill standpoint to stand behind their product regardless of the status of a postcard.

Doesn't matter if you send it in or not. First thing they are going to do is ask you for your receipt. They always verify where is was purchased (in the US or not) and was it used or new.

Can I not say the lens was purchased by a friend for me? The previous owner bought the lens and never registered it, much less ever used it. So in essence, it would not be transferring the warranty, would it? I have all the original paperwork (receipt, warranty cards, extended warranty card, etc.).

It was almost like he bought it for me...:rolleyes: :biggrin:

The registration means zip, nada, poop.:eek:
Just this past monday
I sent in my D200 , that I bought new with a extended nikon waranty.

I also sent in my 70-200, that I bought used, no reciept.

I did not send in a copy of the reciept for the D200, I figuered since it was registered i did not need to send in the reciept.
They email me today with estimates for repair

the D200 estimate was for $200
the 70-200 estimate was $375
I immediately get on the phone, I ask about the waranty, he responds "did you send in the reciept?" "no"
I asked abought the fact that I regestered it online, he said that means nada, we need a reciept.
I faxed the reciept for the D200 and I will have to pay for the 70-200.
This is a risk I was aware of when buying a used item. I just can't wait to see the performace of the lens after repair, I have not been that happy with it's performance recently.:frown:

So if I have a receipt than I am good for warranty coverage as long as the original purchaser never registered the equipment?

With Canon all that was needed was the purchase receipt, no need for any warranty cards. However I have heard Nikon is a bit more difficult when it comes to warranty coverage.

Can I not say the lens was purchased by a friend for me? The previous owner bought the lens and never registered it, much less ever used it. So in essence, it would not be transferring the warranty, would it? I have all the original paperwork (receipt, warranty cards, extended warranty card, etc.).

It was almost like he bought it for me...:rolleyes: :biggrin:

No, if you didn't buy it new from an authorized Nikon dealer it is considered used. If you can get the original receipt you might have a chance. Without a receipt - nada.

I think what he is saying is that the lens was never registered. That to Nikons eyes he would be the original owner of the lens if he were to now register the lens. He has the original receipts, etc. The gift angle would be to explain why he didn't register the lens in June, or whenever the lens was originally sold.

I don't see why this wouldn't work.

No, if you didn't buy it new from an authorized Nikon dealer it is considered used. If you can get the original receipt you might have a chance. Without a receipt - nada.

Thanks for your insight.

I do have the original authorized Nikon dealer purchase receipt and I am local to Nikon in El Segundo if dropping it off in person could help in any way. I'm hoping not to have to use the warranty but its nice to know should I need it or for any future purchases.

5 year warranty is a great convenience and I would love to have that piece of mind. Just wanted to make sure I do all that is needed to ensure I have extended it from 1 to 5 years.

I think what he is saying is that the lens was never registered. That to Nikons eyes he would be the original owner of the lens if he were to now register the lens. He has the original receipts, etc. The gift angle would be to explain why he didn't register the lens in June, or whenever the lens was originally sold.

I don't see why this wouldn't work.

Thats right, thanks for the clarification.:smile:

Also, I was under the assumption that Nikon lens warranty was 5 years. Normally with Canon I never turned in any warranty cards because all that was needed was a copy of the purchase receipt. I'm also trying to clarify that with Nikon this policy is the same or if the warranty paperwork needed to be submitted the 10 days from purchase date as stated in the paperwork.

Latest threads

Top Bottom