lens warrenty

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AgilityIG, Sep 26, 2008.

1. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    I have a USA warrenty 1 1/2 yr old lens that I am selling - would I be able to transfer the warrenty? I have looked on Nikon's site and could not find it. I also looked through the warrenty info without any luck. I have an email out to Nikon too for an answer, but thought someone here might know...

EDIT - I just got an answer back from Nikon - no transfers on warrenties.

2. Lens Warranty

September 26, 2008

I'm sorry to inform you but due to Nikon's policies, if you purchase a lens from a private party, or sell a lens that you currently own to someone else, Nikon USA will NOT transfer the warranty.

If you are purchasing a lens from someone, make an agreement with them, that if something goes wrong, that you are able to return it to them, and ask them to send it in to Nikon.

This is especially the case, if the first purchaser filled out the warranty card, or if his or her name is on the sales slip.

Of course, if you are selling a lens, you should be willing to send it to Nikon in case the new purchaser has a problem, but generally as a whole lenses are relatively reliable. While VR lenses are more complicated, the chances of needing a repair are a bit higher, but probably not all that much higher.

I know that the answer you wanted to read is not what you want to read, but that is the way that Nikon is. I have yet to be able to figure it out either. You can buy a car that is somewhat used and still have the remaining factory warranty, but Nikon seems to make things more difficult as it seems to me. If there is any consolation here, all that I can say, is that I don't understand Nikon's philosophy either.

Good luck, and I hope that I answered your question.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

3. btbD3

btbD3

Jun 17, 2008
    Iowa
    Straight from Nikon today via email.....

HI

Thanks for the question. Sorry, but Nikon USA warranties do not transfer from the original owner.

-David

Thanks for using Nikon products!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.