1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Lens Wishlist

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Wolfie, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    Hey Everyone,

I was just wondering what good all around lenses I could look into purchasing for my new D40 and it's awesome 18-55mmII kit lens!

all around use. versatile and priced decently. my shooting style is very versatile right now, I love still life, portraits, nature, landscape, and otherwise things that I need more range for, like birds in flight, other animals I can't really get close to, and my siblings soccer games (my brother is in ODP club, not serious stuff bit more intense then little league soccer. and my sister is Pro-Soccer) so as you can see I would like as few lenses I would need to basically get the job done and aren't that expensive. my idea of expensive is paying $1600 for the fully professional 600mm lens (a crazy good lens from what I hear).

anything more or less under 1k is fine. like the wide angel lens I want that's around $914.

so I was thinking:
    1) 18-55mm VR (same as the kit lens but with VR)
    2) 55-200mmVR for far away shots
    3) 12-24 ultra wide angle

I was also thinking about adding something with more range like the 70-300mm. that way I'll have covered everything from 12mm to 300mm. and have a ultra wide angel lens for those stunning landscape shots.

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    No need to spend money on the 18-55 vr.

BUT, you could do the 55-200 VR if you wanted, but my thoughts would say go pick up a used copy of the Nikon 80-200 AF-S or pickup a new sharp copy of the Sigma 70-200 HSM Macro II. For soccer and stuff these would be the way to go, not with the 55-200, especially with a budget of under 1k.

Much better quality than the 55-200 although you'll have to live without VR, but they are both fast glass so it wont be too big a problem.

The Nikon 12-24 is nice, and i would suggest it if your primary interest will be landscapes, the sigma 10-20 hsm would also be a good CHEAPER alternative.

3. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    Interesting. I'll have to re work my wishlist then. I think i'd like to stay with nikkor lenses for auto focus, vr and expecially the metering.

but i guess it doesn't matter with things like the wide angle lenses

4. If you can get one for that price, buy about 10 of them and then sell the first one for $15,000.00 - you will be making huge bucks by your second sale!

I'm guessing you meant $16,000 not $1600 and I am being silly about it

Go with cleoent's suggestions - they are right on the money

5. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    pro glass from the 3rd parties are pretty good, i definitely wouldn't let that deter you.

6. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    Ok,

assuming I go with another brand for an alternative. what ones work best on the D40? reading kenrockwell.com you find that (from his experience) sigma's aren't very solid and feel flimsy. I wouldn't know, i've never used one i don't think.

what do you all think?

7. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    I'm really sorry, i ment the fully professional 70-200mm for $1,600. I'm an idiot... the 600mm sells for around a mere $9,500.

8. ugodrainville

ugodrainville

Mar 13, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Take everything that man says with a huge grain of kosher salt...

I have had positive experiences with Sigma lenses (24-60/2.8, 10-20)...others here have had quite good positive experiences with the Sigma 70-200/2.8 and other "pro" quality glass...

9. ^ yeah that -

The Sigma in my signature is heavy and way more solid than a 18-55, my 18-135 or a 55-200

I really like it

10. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    Your third party lenses, at least Sigma, Tokina and Tamaron are going to meter, focus and everything fine with your D40. I will be getting a couple Sigma lenses I'm sure. THe 10-20mm, 30mm 1.4 and maybe a zoom not sure what I want there yet. Im like you anything much over $1000 is kind of a wet dream for me right now.

11. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Instead of Ken Rockwell, you might try Thom Hogan as your guru. Ken has some good info, but he also has some bad info. The Sigma 10-20 is a superb lens.

http://www.bythom.com/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.