Lensbaby Velvet 85

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Hello, I am "her." Yes, I am a Lensbaby Ambassador, as well as a Click Pro and Hello Pro. I have worked hard over the years to hone my craft and vision and I am proud of the work I create.

Yes, I guess that Lensbaby does also like my work since they selected me as an Ambassador. Lensbaby is also used in movies and television work; a recent example is HBO's The Undoing starring Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman.

What a surprise to find you disparaging my work in a forum where I have never been active (unfortunately it is not surprising at all). It is disappointing, Connie, that you must feel such jealousy to bring me up out of nowhere, such that a regular here even is confused as to who you refer.

Who cares if Click and Hello cater to women photographers wanting to document their families, their children, their lives. Does that threaten you in some way? Yes, I paid for portfolio reviews/applications and I pay for membership. I assure you the application process is not easy and the standards are rigorous.

I came to this site because on the forum from where I know Connie we were discussing the alleged Z9 photos from the Olympics. She mentioned that it was being discussed on this site as well, so I came to read comments, and then I stumbled across a thread about the Velvet 85.

I have had the Z mount V85 since March. I also have a number of other Lensbaby lenses, all of which I owned prior to becoming an Ambassador in January. While it is true that many of my images push the line of artistic blur, I am quite capable of taking images that are not a "blurry mess." I use them on my Z6 and Z6ii and the V85 and Sol 45 are native Z lenses.

Two images with the V85:

View attachment 1687129

View attachment 1687130

Sol 45:
View attachment 1687131

To the OP: I hope you are still enjoying your V85 and that it brings you much joy.
Thank you for sharing your experience and images on our Forum. I can assure you that it is very rare that a member here would disparage another photographer! I apologize......

We have some wonderful macro photographers here and I hope you will give us another chance to show that we strive to be a welcoming and respectful group of folks!

Absolutely gorgeous photos, Molly! Well done!

Just one minor quibble:

What a surprise to find you disparaging my work in a forum where I have never been active (unfortunately it is not surprising at all).
Surely you're not suggesting that critique of images should be limited to photos made by people that participate here. If you took that thought to an extreme, nobody should critique the work of dead artists.

Absolutely gorgeous photos, Molly! Well done!

Just one minor quibble:

Surely you're not suggesting that critique of images should be limited to photos made by people that participate here. If you took that thought to an extreme, nobody should critique the work of dead artists.
No, of course not, but if you are going to take the time to critique someone's work, perhaps a link so that others can opine also.

I honestly don't care what Connie thinks of my work; I have plenty of evidence that others enjoy it. I do have an issue with her discussing my work behind my back where she thought I'd never find out. I have over 4,000 posts in our other "joint" forum, and in one single post I mentioned that I had been selected as an Ambassador and in one other single post I had mentioned my affiliation with an application based group. I never mentioned Click Pro by name, so she had to research that on her own, which seems a little stalkery, but whatever. I hardly think two posts out of 4k is "boasting."

You all can critique my work as much as you want.

https://www.instagram.com/mollylovesphotography/

Though I think Connie's posts about this stuff have been overly heavy-handed, I also think it's at least as heavy-handed to describe her posts about Molly or her photos as disparaging, meaning that Molly and/or her work are of little worth. I read her posts three times and I simply don't get the impression that that is what Connie is suggesting.

Last edited:
Though I think Connie's posts about this stuff have been overly handed, I also think it's at least as heavy-handed to describe her posts about Molly or her photos as disparaging, meaning that Molly and/or her work are of little worth. I read her posts three times and I simply don't get the impression that that is what Connie is suggesting.
I mostly take issue with her calling my work a “blurry mess.”

I do have an issue with her discussing my work behind my back where she thought I'd never find out.

I have two issues with that. The first is that it's being presumptuous on your part to assume she thought that. (You also presumed that she's jealous of you.) Indeed, it's very difficult for me to imagine that someone would publicly post a comment and actually expect that the person being written about would never find out about it. The second issue is that you seem to be requiring that nobody should write about you or your work without making you aware of it or at least making it easy for you to find out about it. That seems really unreasonable to me.

I hope you do really well with your new position as Ambassador, that you continue to make such wonderful images, and that you derive significant personal reward on all levels for your efforts.

Last edited:
I mostly take issue with her calling my work a “blurry mess.”

Connie really does have a right to think that and to write her thinking about it. You even acknowledged that much of your work does "push the line of artistic blur." Moreover, I don't understand why you have such a strong objection to Connie calling your work a blurry mess when you insist that you don't care what she thinks of your work. It seems that, actually, you really do care.

I can't imagine being able to contribute anything else that would be helpful to the discussion, so this will be my last comment.

I am very sorry that I have offended you, Molly! You have shared some beautiful flower images over the years, and you've chosen three good representatives to post in this thread -- that last one is particularly stunning. So, no, I don't consider your work "a blurry mess" at all; the comment I made using that particular expression was actually meant in a more general sense, rather than addressing your work specifically. I have seen other examples of images shot by other people with Lens Baby lenses and, well, IMHO some are more successful than others. That said, I have tried Lens Baby products myself -- once a long time ago with one of the early Lens Baby items that was in use prior to them developing a line of actual lenses, and then more recently with the Sol 45, and I'll admit that it's not as easy as it would seem to get the desired effects with one!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I am very sorry that I have offended you, Molly! You have shared some beautiful flower images over the years, and you've chosen three good representatives to post in this thread -- that last one is particularly stunning. So, no, I don't consider your work "a blurry mess" at all; the comment I made using that particular expression was actually meant in a more general sense, rather than addressing your work specifically. I have seen other examples of images shot by other people with Lens Baby lenses and, well, IMHO some are more successful than others. That said, I have tried Lens Baby products myself -- once a long time ago with one of the early Lens Baby items that was in use prior to them developing a line of actual lenses, and then more recently with the Sol 45, and I'll admit that it's not as easy as it would seem to get the desired effects with one!
Lovely response! Thank you, Connie, for clearing up the mis-understanding and demonstrating the respect and kindness to each other that is the ultimate goal of NikonCafe! NikonCafe encourages discussions and differing opinions, while striving to avoid being judgemental or unreceptive to the thoughts of others.

I do hope Mollie with give NikonCafe a chance to show her that we can have open discussions with each other and even agree to disagree at times!

Hi Molly, welcome to Nikon Café, and thanks for sharing your passion and photos. While I'm strictly a Nikon guy, I am agnostic to brands but enamored by talent and skill. Keep posting here, please.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom