LensCoat lens covers

Real Name
Dan
Does anyone know of a comparable alternative to the lens covers produced by LensCoat? I love them but the cost is rediculous.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree......I love them and they are a bit expensive. I just buy them on sale......which seems to happen fairly often. I get their newsletter.

Real Name
Dan
Same here regarding taking advantage of the sales. And they have awesome customer service. If you've got high end gear and use it a lot it beats the alternative of doing nothing to protect it. Actually their marketing strategy is probably a good one. After all, who would put a $10 cover on a $10k lens? Well, who besides me? :)

Then again maybe the cover pays for itself on the back end when you advertise it for sale as having had a LensCoat on it since day one.

Real Name
Ian
I currently just have my 300/2.8 VR wrapped in Gaffer's tape. I'm using is primarily to protect against inadvertent bumps & scrapes, and have a hard time justifying picking up a Lens Coat to use in place of the tape.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Same here regarding taking advantage of the sales. And they have awesome customer service. If you've got high end gear and use it a lot it beats the alternative of doing nothing to protect it. Actually their marketing strategy is probably a good one. After all, who would put a $10 cover on a $10k lens? Well, who besides me? :)

Then again maybe the cover pays for itself on the back end when you advertise it for sale as having had a LensCoat on it since day one.
When I am buying, it does make a difference to me if it has had the lens coat on it. Not only is the lens protected, but it says something about how the seller takes care of his/her gear!

Lenscoats are expensive, but all my lenses are covered. I've collected enough bits of neoprene over the years from buying and selling that I was able to wrap my whole kit. Also when selling lenses you can equate the price of the Lenscoat into the sale. Also keep in mind for big ticket items like exotic telephoto primes, a scratch or blemish can devalue the lens considerably.

Does anyone know of a comparable alternative to the lens covers produced by LensCoat? I love them but the cost is rediculous.
I just received a LensCoat for my 200-500vr and yes I agree the price I paid ($107) is ridiculous. I’m all about taking care of my gear and protecting my investment, but this product is definitely over priced.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I just received a LensCoat for my 200-500vr and yes I agree the price I paid ($107) is ridiculous. I’m all about taking care of my gear and protecting my investment, but this product is definitely over priced.
Is there a heating element included?
Saw this in a documentation for astro photography...

Kind regards
Klaus

I prefer to work with nude lenses so I don't buy LensCoats.

However I do like to have cushioning wraps on things like my Wimberley, and the upper leg sections of tripod legs, for the extra comfort when handling them — especially in cold weather.
I stitched those myself from neoprene fabric and velcro ribbons which I bought on-line from
Neoprene Fabric by the Yard | Neoprene Closed Cell Foam
The neoprene is 50 inches wide and costs $30 per running foot.

Real Name
Dan
I guess the sum total of the comments is that the only alternative lens cover that anyone is aware of is DIY :(

For me more depends on the size of the lens. I have Lens Coats for my 500E and 600E but use Optech rain covers for the rest only if needed.

To me lenses are merely tools and not objets d'art or investments.

Like all of my tools, I handle them carefully and they don't seem to get scratched or dented even after many years of constant use in all conceivable environments and weather conditions. Therefore I can see no reason to encase my lenses in Lenscoats which would simply get in my way and reduce my ability to handle my lenses with the utmost speed and efficiency.

If you look at photographs of professional photographers at work at any of the major sporting events, you will see very few (if any!) lenscoats on their equipment.

Just a personal observation but I have never seen any of the professional photographers that I have come across using Lenscoats — and all of them owned their own equipment.

Lenscoats never even existed until a few years ago and our equipment survived reasonably unscathed

Not saying that people shouldn't use Lenscoats if that makes them happy or provides re-assurance; but it seems utterly pointless to me — unless you are extremely clumsy or like to drive nails with your camera.

Another thought: I am concerned that a LensCoat might entrap moisture and humidity and so encourage the growth of lens fungus which would completely wipe away all resale value?!

Last edited:
I wasn't a big believer but have to admit that the LensCoats do keep the lenses much cooler in the summer. The black would soak up the sun and get almost too hot to touch which I don't think is very good for the stuff inside. The coats have reduced that dramatically.

I’ve never owned a lens that cost upwards of $5000. Perhaps if I did I’d use a lenscoat cover. When I first started buying cameras and lenses many years ago I was fanatical about putting UV filters on every lens as soon as I bought it. I stopped that long ago and I don’t think I’ve scratched a front element yet. But accidents do happen and if it makes you feel better to have a cover on your lens then you certainly should.

I use them on my big glass, but not on the normal sized lenses. It's not unusual for me to be carrying my 600e through a bunch of brush, trees and weeds. Even if the lenscoat provided no more than peace of mind, it's worth it. I have seen an alternative to lenscoat a few years back, made somewhere in Europe. When I checked into it, having it shipped here negated any cost savings. If I can remember the details, I'll come back and post them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom