1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

LensCoat lens covers

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by drr1531, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Does anyone know of a comparable alternative to the lens covers produced by LensCoat? I love them but the cost is rediculous.

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I agree......I love them and they are a bit expensive. I just buy them on sale......which seems to happen fairly often. I get their newsletter.

3. Same here regarding taking advantage of the sales. And they have awesome customer service. If you've got high end gear and use it a lot it beats the alternative of doing nothing to protect it. Actually their marketing strategy is probably a good one. After all, who would put a $10 cover on a $10k lens? Well, who besides me? :) 

Then again maybe the cover pays for itself on the back end when you advertise it for sale as having had a LensCoat on it since day one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I currently just have my 300/2.8 VR wrapped in Gaffer's tape. I'm using is primarily to protect against inadvertent bumps & scrapes, and have a hard time justifying picking up a Lens Coat to use in place of the tape.

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    When I am buying, it does make a difference to me if it has had the lens coat on it. Not only is the lens protected, but it says something about how the seller takes care of his/her gear!

6. Lenscoats are expensive, but all my lenses are covered. I've collected enough bits of neoprene over the years from buying and selling that I was able to wrap my whole kit. Also when selling lenses you can equate the price of the Lenscoat into the sale. Also keep in mind for big ticket items like exotic telephoto primes, a scratch or blemish can devalue the lens considerably.

7. My Lenscoats usually arrive before the lens does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I just received a LensCoat for my 200-500vr and yes I agree the price I paid ($107) is ridiculous. I’m all about taking care of my gear and protecting my investment, but this product is definitely over priced.

9. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Is there a heating element included?
    Saw this in a documentation for astro photography...

Kind regards
    Klaus

10. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I prefer to work with nude lenses so I don't buy LensCoats.

However I do like to have cushioning wraps on things like my Wimberley, and the upper leg sections of tripod legs, for the extra comfort when handling them — especially in cold weather.
    I stitched those myself from neoprene fabric and velcro ribbons which I bought on-line from
    Neoprene Fabric by the Yard | Neoprene Closed Cell Foam
    The neoprene is 50 inches wide and costs $30 per running foot.

11. I put them on pricey glass as soon as I open the box. They’re expensive, but they do work.

12. Expensive, but a good investment.

13. I guess the sum total of the comments is that the only alternative lens cover that anyone is aware of is DIY :( 

14. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    For me more depends on the size of the lens. I have Lens Coats for my 500E and 600E but use Optech rain covers for the rest only if needed.

15. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    To me lenses are merely tools and not objets d'art or investments.

Like all of my tools, I handle them carefully and they don't seem to get scratched or dented even after many years of constant use in all conceivable environments and weather conditions. Therefore I can see no reason to encase my lenses in Lenscoats which would simply get in my way and reduce my ability to handle my lenses with the utmost speed and efficiency.

If you look at photographs of professional photographers at work at any of the major sporting events, you will see very few (if any!) lenscoats on their equipment.

16. That's because they probably don't actually own that gear. It most likely belongs to whoever they're shooting for.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Just a personal observation but I have never seen any of the professional photographers that I have come across using Lenscoats — and all of them owned their own equipment.

Lenscoats never even existed until a few years ago and our equipment survived reasonably unscathed

Not saying that people shouldn't use Lenscoats if that makes them happy or provides re-assurance; but it seems utterly pointless to me — unless you are extremely clumsy or like to drive nails with your camera.

Another thought: I am concerned that a LensCoat might entrap moisture and humidity and so encourage the growth of lens fungus which would completely wipe away all resale value?!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I wasn't a big believer but have to admit that the LensCoats do keep the lenses much cooler in the summer. The black would soak up the sun and get almost too hot to touch which I don't think is very good for the stuff inside. The coats have reduced that dramatically.

19. I’ve never owned a lens that cost upwards of $5000. Perhaps if I did I’d use a lenscoat cover. When I first started buying cameras and lenses many years ago I was fanatical about putting UV filters on every lens as soon as I bought it. I stopped that long ago and I don’t think I’ve scratched a front element yet. But accidents do happen and if it makes you feel better to have a cover on your lens then you certainly should.

20. I use them on my big glass, but not on the normal sized lenses. It's not unusual for me to be carrying my 600e through a bunch of brush, trees and weeds. Even if the lenscoat provided no more than peace of mind, it's worth it. I have seen an alternative to lenscoat a few years back, made somewhere in Europe. When I checked into it, having it shipped here negated any cost savings. If I can remember the details, I'll come back and post them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.