LensCoat lens covers

Real Name
Dan
I wasn't a big believer but have to admit that the LensCoats do keep the lenses much cooler in the summer. The black would soak up the sun and get almost too hot to touch which I don't think is very good for the stuff inside. The coats have reduced that dramatically.
They do make a big difference in the cold. The lens is much easier to handle with the neoprene coat on it. No debate on my part as to the virtues of the product. And the only frustration I've ever run into regarding access to controls etc, is visibility of the white markings to align the lens collar. And yes, I've shot with several pros who use them and some who don't. I suspect many pros have been shooting since long before they were available and are simply slow to change without a compelling reason.

Like many threads simple questions turn into philosophical discussions . I just thought that considering they sell for probably 25 times the manufacturing cost maybe there was someone that I hadn't heard of in the market that was willing to settle for a bit lower margins. In the mean time, unless I can convince my bride to learn to sew neoprene I'll just pay what the market prices them at. :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
They do make a big difference in the cold. The lens is much easier to handle with the neoprene coat on it. No debate on my part as to the virtues of the product. And the only frustration I've ever run into regarding access to controls etc, is visibility of the white markings to align the lens collar. And yes, I've shot with several pros who use them and some who don't. I suspect many pros have been shooting since long before they were available and are simply slow to change without a compelling reason.

Like many threads simple questions turn into philosophical discussions . I just thought that considering they sell for probably 25 times the manufacturing cost maybe there was someone that I hadn't heard of in the market that was willing to settle for a bit lower margins. In the mean time, unless I can convince my bride to learn to sew neoprene I'll just pay what the market prices them at. :)
I agree about the white marking to align the lens collar being hard to see! And I had an epiphany about it! I finally realized that being left handed, and the way I hold the lens, makes mounting a lens even more of a problem. So......I took the scissors and cut a little notch in the Lens Coat so the lens marking is no longer covered up. I still have the problem of mounting a lens left handed, but at least now I can see the alignment mark! LOL!

How do they work on zooms? Do they just come in two pieces and separate when zoomed out?

Real Name
Dan
I agree about the white marking to align the lens collar being hard to see! And I had an epiphany about it! I finally realized that being left handed, and the way I hold the lens, makes mounting a lens even more of a problem. So......I took the scissors and cut a little notch in the Lens Coat so the lens marking is no longer covered up. I still have the problem of mounting a lens left handed, but at least now I can see the alignment mark! LOL!
I just bought one for the 500mm PF and it came with said divvit cut out to reveal the alignment mark. Nice touch but it didn't make me feel any better about paying upwards of $100 for it :(

Real Name
Dan
How do they work on zooms? Do they just come in two pieces and separate when zoomed out?
They come in multiple pieces to fit the various different diameters of the sections of the lens. On zooms that extend the barrel is exposed while zoomed out.

You can usually get new rubber rings sent from Nikon for a reasonable price and install them yourself.

I have heard of people wiping a plastics restorative polish (such as 303 Aerospace cleaner) onto lens rings and camera rubber coatings but that is not something which I would do!

Some of the more shiney second-hand lenses on the market have probably been gussied-up in that way?!

There is another company selling Lens protection, OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR | Wildlife watching | Equipment and supplies Their product material is very similar to LensCoat though the sections are sewn on each end. The cost after dollar conversion would have been 1/2 of what I paid for the LensCoat, but I didn’t care for the look. Since I carry my D500 and 200-500 zoom with a Black Rapid Shoulder Strap the LensCoat will provide a degree of protection.

>>>Since I carry my D500 and 200-500 zoom with a Black Rapid Shoulder Strap the LensCoat will provide a degree of protection.

It might need to?!!
:cautious: :)

... So......I took the scissors and cut a little notch in the Lens Coat so the lens marking is no longer covered up. I still have the problem of mounting a lens left handed, but at least now I can see the alignment mark! LOL!

Karen - funny you should mention this; I have been cutting a small notch in my lens coats to see the alignment mark for years.

Real Name
Dan
There is another company selling Lens protection, OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR | Wildlife watching | Equipment and supplies Their product material is very similar to LensCoat though the sections are sewn on each end. The cost after dollar conversion would have been 1/2 of what I paid for the LensCoat, but I didn’t care for the look...
Finally. Yes the prices are about half of what LensCoat gets. Presumably the ends are sewn to make them more durable. The ends on the LensCoat to tend to get a bit frayed with time. Particularly on the lens hood. Looks like a preferable option for UK/Europe but I suppose shipping cost to the USA will minimize any cost benefit. I've emailed them inquiring about shipping. Thanks for the link.

Real Name
Dan
Shipping to USA is roughly$10. So for a large prime lens all in cost is about 2/3 of a comparable LensCoat.

Just a personal observation but I have never seen any of the professional photographers that I have come across using Lenscoats — and all of them owned their own equipment.
I have season tickets for the Chicago Bears. Often times before the game starts I'll flag down random photographers just to talk shop a bit. I've chatted with shooters from all the major Chicago papers as well as Sports Illustrated, and NFL Films. NONE of those folks owned the gear they were shooting. NONE of them had Lenscoats either. They also treated their gear as if someone else owned it. My second camera was a Nikon photomic TN that I bought used from Shutan camera in Chicago in 1968.The camera was used by a shooter from the Chicago Tribune and it looked like it had seen combat. I shot that camera for 5 years and probably put 1500 rolls of film through it. It never missed a shot, hence my loyalty to Nikon. Beauty is only skin deep, but they are beautiful when they're new.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I have season tickets for the Chicago Bears. Often times before the game starts I'll flag down random photographers just to talk shop a bit. I've chatted with shooters from all the major Chicago papers as well as Sports Illustrated, and NFL Films. NONE of those folks owned the gear they were shooting. NONE of them had Lenscoats either. They also treated their gear as if someone else owned it. My second camera was a Nikon photomic TN that I bought used from Shutan camera in Chicago in 1968.The camera was used by a shooter from the Chicago Tribune and it looked like it had seen combat. I shot that camera for 5 years and probably put 1500 rolls of film through it. It never missed a shot, hence my loyalty to Nikon. Beauty is only skin deep, but they are beautiful when they're new.
Rick, your post reminds me of an old NIKON commercial from 1990...
Nikon F3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kind regards
Klaus

Latest threads

Top Bottom