Lenses are Not created Equal!

Call me crazy, but this is my number 4 Nikon 50mm 1.4G, I have always had Love and hate relationship with that lens, my previous copies where never sharp enough wide open, always had focus shift issues with them...always loved the weight and convenience of the 50mm for family events... I worked on my photography skills, but the same story kept repeating over and over... I was never satisfied.... till I found this lens! the cheapest one i have paid for so far, the focus is tight and accurate wide open,very stable and predictable sharp results! moral of the story, sample variations exist and some lenses show this more than others...always test and test till you are completely satisfied with your purchase! this one is a keeper:)
first test shot:biggrin:
5797673547_63d5992dbd_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Use rubberized shelf liner if you have it. Or use any flat rubbery surface that you can press the filter end down on and then twist the lens body just above it.

Even the flatter part of the sole of a shoe will work if you get the grit off first.

Congratulations on getting a good copy. 1 out of 4 isn't great but at least you're there.

Many of these less expensive filters like Quantaray are not totally symmetrical and unfortunately tend to get stuck easily. More expensive filters have brass rings which minimize sticking.

Call me crazy, but this is my number 4 Nikon 50mm 1.4G,......always test and test till you are completely satisfied with your purchase! this one is a keeper:)

I'm wanting one myself. Great to see you found a good one. When you say "the best price", does that mean you were shopping used or new? With the sample variations it makes me wonder if the returned rejects go back on the store shelves for schmucks like me who are lesser equipt to distinguish them.

I had high expectations when I bought this lens and it let me down, but nowadays I ahve changed my feelings and think its serves me well. Not sure if I was just too harsh on it at first or I have grown accustomed to its faults

$500 lens + $15 "protection" filter = :confused:

sort of like buying a Ferrari Scuderia and filling it up with regular gasoline.......:tongue:

that type of thing makes no sense to me.......unless it's a filter that will alter the image(polarizer, neutral density, etc...) what's the point???

the lens hood offers plenty of protection, especially on a lens like the 50 1.4G where the front element is so far back...:cool:

the first 3 lenses I bought were brand new, i paid full price and sold them after 2-3 month, this is my first used copy "Dont always buy new!" , I was actually waiting for the new 50 1.8 to give it a go and did not care much about getting another 50 1.4, so the owner offered me a sweet deal that i could not resist to tempt me and i took the bait!
Btw,
Lens # 1 from Dubai/Japan Serial #
Lens #2 from LA/US serial #
Lens #3 from Canada/Canadian serial #
Lens #4 from Canada bought in Florida/Us serial #
All made in the great republic of china

I have always compared my 50s to the 85 1.4D "for sharpness NOT BOKEH", this copy seems to stand out, non so with the old copies...

As for the filter?!!! I am working on it, it is very stubborn! if all fails i will take it to the local shop or order a filter wrench on ebay.... totally agree this is like a sports-car with cheap tires.

THank you guys for all the wishes, loving the lens!

I'm wanting one myself. Great to see you found a good one. When you say "the best price", does that mean you were shopping used or new? With the sample variations it makes me wonder if the returned rejects go back on the store shelves for schmucks like me who are lesser equipt to distinguish them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me crazy, but this is my number 4 Nikon 50mm 1.4G, I have always had Love and hate relationship with that lens, my previous copies where never sharp enough wide open, always had focus shift issues with them...always loved the weight and convenience of the 50mm for family events... I worked on my photography skills, but the same story kept repeating over and over... I was never satisfied.... till I found this lens! the cheapest one i have paid for so far, the focus is tight and accurate wide open,very stable and predictable sharp results! moral of the story, sample variations exist and some lenses show this more than others...always test and test till you are completely satisfied with your purchase! this one is a keeper:)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/5797673547_63d5992dbd_b.jpg

So even Nikon glass isn't perfect.....imagine that.
Glad you finally got a good one.

The Nikon filter isn't on here but the Hoya HMC was rated the best for what
it's worth.

I use B&W filters on my 24-70 and 70-200 and truly feel as though they do not affect image quality in the slightest.

On my 50, I think I'm using a Hoya filter. It's okay, but in the long run I'd like to pick up a B&W filter for that lens as well. They're amazing and worth every penny.

Get the MCR filters.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom