Lenses designed for Digital Photography

Some companies claim that there lenses are designed for digital photography. Here's and excerpt from a Forbes interview with Stephan Schulz, the Head of Professional Photo at Leica Camera AG:

There’s another big practical advantage to designing specifically for digital: medium format film cameras have always had a problem keeping a large surface area of film completely flat. To compensate for this unevenness, medium format lenses were designed to mask the imperfections of an uneven recording surface – by not providing peak sharpness. But with digital sensors, unevenness is a non-issue. This allowed us to develop lenses that deliver uncompromising peak sharpness.

What he is referring to is a lens' characteristic know as Depth of Focus. Although 35mm cameras don't have the same problems medium format does, it's still a factor.

I hadn't thought of that before - and I gather this is not to be confused with the size of the image circle - "full frame" lens on a crop sensor. Interesting article, thanks for bringing it up.

Sounds like more BS from the manufacturers to get people to buy their particular products.
Surprised they have't started saying their lenses are produced with Green Technology, but I suppose that will come soon.

Lloyd Chambers talks a lot about how lenses made specifically for digital have different ray angles that are better suited for today's sensors. I don't know enough about the subject to have my own opinion, but can sort of understand what he means and think he might have a point, if true.

Sigma has pretty much proven this with their DP series of fixed lens cameras. They produce better IQ than their DSLR, with the same sensor, and when used at low ISO, can match the D800E.

Sigma has pretty much proven this with their DP series of fixed lens cameras. They produce better IQ than their DSLR, with the same sensor, and when used at low ISO, can match the D800E.

Easily! :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom