LENSES FOR ALASKA?????????

I'm taking an Alaskan cruise in May and have just purchased the D70 with the kit lens. Could someone please suggest some lenses for taking pictures of glaciers from the boat. Also, a lightweight all purpose lens to take on hikes and sightseeing trips.

I am new to this forum so I don't know if this next question is too broad or too basic but could someone also talk about shutter speeds and apetures for taking pictures of snow/ice?

Thank you.

NANCY said:
Also, a lightweight all purpose lens to take on hikes and sightseeing trips.

Depending on your preference for focal length, you might want to look at the Nikon 28-200mm, 24-85mm, or 24-120VR. But, actually, your 18-70mm kit lens would be a very serviceable lens for hikes and sightseeing.

I am new to this forum so I don't know if this next question is too broad or too basic but could someone also talk about shutter speeds and apetures for taking pictures of snow/ice?

It's more a matter of metering than anything else. Very bright snow can fool the metering system of the most sophisticated camera into underexposing a scene. Here's a little tutorial on how to correct that problem through exposure compensation.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1007&message=7219336

Nancy,

Can't agree more with Uncle Frank. The kit lens is very good. In fact to do better, you would have to spend about $1K more (the 17-35 or 17-55 are better, although heavier and much more expensive alternatives).

As far as longer focal lengths, if you have some money to spend, you could look at the Sigma 70-200 at around $700. Otherwise, the lenses that UF has listed are very good.

Have fun!!

Frank

Hi Uncle Frank and Frank,

Thank you both soooo much. I am devoting this weekend to get a beginner's understanding of focal lenghts, metering, shutter speeds and apertures. It was nice to hear that the lens I have is a good start. Of course, I already want so many more lenses but have told myself I have to first understand why I "need" them or at least, what to do with them when I get them before I can start emptying the bank.

Uncle Frank, I loved the black cat. That was magical!

I think the first thing to learn is to start early in being selective about your lenses. Paying up front for the good glass will pay off in the long run. Cameras come and go, but lenses stay forever!

Larry Gleason said:
Whatever lens, I'd have my circular polarizer handy.

Larry,

For mine (and everyone else's) benefit, could you explain why?

Thanks,

Frank

Nancy,

When I was in Alaska for 2weeks, I had my D70 with the kit lens. It was just fine, but I would have been better off with a mid or long range lens. I am not a lens expert, but there are plenty of people in the Cafe that can give you good recommendations. :D :D :D :D

Flew said:
Larry Gleason said:
Whatever lens, I'd have my circular polarizer handy.

Larry,

For mine (and everyone else's) benefit, could you explain why?

Thanks,

Frank

C. Polz. to cut the glare. Mine is always on if I have to shoot middle of day with bright sun, shooting around water, anything that reflects a glare (including metal), better blue skies. I don't have to worry about snow and ice but there is no way I'd be without the filter if I was. I even paid the big bucks for a CP made for the 300 AFS f/3.8. I'm ordering a second CP with the D2X so that shooting the D1X and D2X together will have a CP when needed. Other than having UVs, the CP is a filter that I wouldn't do without!

CP in use both shots-
39966734-dffb-0200014D-.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

39966647-af8b-0200014D-.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Does it matter what brand the CP is? If so, could you please recommend your favorite? Thanks.

NANCY said:
Does it matter what brand the CP is? If so, could you please recommend your favorite? Thanks.

The only way that I can answer is that I have nothing but expensive Nikon glass and therefore spend the bucks on Nikon CPs. The second one will be a "slim" in case I want to use it on 12-24 lens.

Someone else may have a good and specific recommendation but don't put a cheap filter on a good lens.

I have found the most widely accepted as the best seems to be the B&W filters. I have a 77mm and I need to get a couple more - I hate switching them all the time. They are expensive though.

You might want to look at the post I did in "Places to Shoot or Visit" https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=246 on the trip to Alaska we took last summer. I'm not sure if you will be on a big ship or a small one like we were, it could make a significant difference in what you need.
We had two cameras (D-70 and D-100), most of the time we had a 70-300 on one camera and a 28-200 lens on the other. We found the 28-200 to be a great lens for taking on a hike as it is small and has a good range of focal lengths. If you run into wildlife, you may want more length, however, and the 70-300 (ED or G) is a lightweight choice.

You can check out some of our photos at http://bob-nan.smugmug.com/gallery/344909 and look at "more photo details" to see the focal length used in each photo.
It is a really neat place to visit and photograph, have a nice trip!
Bob & Nan

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know why I now have to scroll back and forth to read each line? This is the first time this has happened to me. Always before, each entire line was on my screen????????

The width of the window seems to be affected by the size of photos someone posts Nancy.

Does that mean that I will have to do a horizontal scroll for all the posts on this topic or will Flew magically size down the oversized photo so I can be lazy again?

Nancy,

Patrick has set the max pic width (to 960 pixels), and that seems to be working. We haven't figured out why the text runs off the side yet on some posts, but we are working on it.... :(

Sorry for the inconvenience. :?

Frank

Hi Flew,

Thanks so much. I so appreciate your starting this site. It is so wonderful for someone just starting down this addictive road to be able to get help from so many knowledgeable people.

Nancy

G

Gordon Large

Hey Nancy -

Alaska is a great place to really kick start your photo hobby! You've gotten good advice from lots of folks, but I'll throw in my 2p with the caveat that I'm no expert. I think your kit lens will be fine for most scenic shots. But you will regret if you don't have a long lens to take advantage of birds, whales, eagles, bears - whatever wildlife you might see. I agree with others that you should buy good glass that you will be happy with for years, but at this point don't spend big bucks for the best/fastest/longest. Try to get a lens that takes you out to at least 200mm, and pick up a Nikon TC14 (1.4x teleconverter) or a TC17. Don't get the TC20 because you may have trouble focusing. I *always* keep a UV filter on all of my lenses; not sure how much it helps your photos, but it protects your lenses. Use Nikon or B+W if you can afford them. I'm sure circular polarizers would be great, but that's a lot more money. Sometimes you do need them for glare, but personally I think they make scenes look artificial with ultra blue skies etc. Different strokes etc.

BTW, I'm taking my first trip to Alaska this summer and I'm really psyched! One week shooting grizzlies, puffins and anything else that moves in a very remote location, and then a week of sightseeing/photo taking on the Kenai peninsula. You'll begin to see my image posts in early August. I hope to see yours too!

Have a blast on your cruise -
Gordon

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Lenses can get quite expensive Nancy, I would suggest you think though your needs and write down a note saying what your startegies are and thne get lenses base don the strategies you came up with. Some people work this in a a few dimensions: For when it will be used, Focal length, weight, sharpness, speed of lenses. Zoom lenses only etc.

So I have a couple of strategies that hopefully flow together or it will get expensive :-(
1. When travelling. I wanted to cover as much focal length as possible while not haviong to feel burdend carrying it all. I did not want to have to many lenses and of course I wanted really good results. Sometimes I would need to cover photgrapic situations when it is darker outside or inside so I need one lens that can handle low light. So for this situation I now have:
a. Nikon 17-55 (for most it is to heavy but I really liked it and took it instead of 18-70, which is a good all around lens)
b. Nikon 80-400 VR (Nikon 70-300 lighter alternative for your wallet? Or Sigma 80-400 VR?)
c. Want a 28 mm 1.4 for low light, cant afford it right now, considering options like an older Manual FocusF 24 F2 mm etc.
d Flash Sb800 (you can maybe save and get the SB-600 but the IITL capability of these two flashes makes it so much easier to get great shots at flash conditions)
e. A very light but stable tripod and a ball head, favorites would be Gitzo G1128 or the slighty more cabably Gitzo G1228, they weigh very little but can handle lots and yes they are pricey, Sad story about tripods is that you pay for what you get, the gitzo's will last pretty much forever.
2. Hiking, it get heavy quickly, so I carry the 24-120 VR, would like a very light wideangle, but have not found one yet to my liking, the 12-24 mm comes to mind....
3. Birding
a I have along lens a Sigma 800, with that I have an older style aluminum Gitzo G310 and Wimberley Gimbal head. a very heavy combination, with that I carry the Nikon 17-55 as an all around lens and swear over the combined weight..

I know it sounds like a lot (espceially money, but I recommend you get your own strategies and work from that, and remember if you don't like the lens, you can always sell it on say Ebay, and by the way I buy used lenses on Ebay from reputable sellers and it a way chaper way to go. then buying new...

Good Luck on your trip looking forward to see great pictures when you get back

Latest threads

Top Bottom