Lenses

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and new to photography, I would like some advice.

I have a Z6 with the 50mm f/1.8 S and 24-70mm f/4 Z mount lenses.

I am thinking of buying the 35mm f/1.8 S lens and not sure what the benefits would be

Thanks in advance

I have all three of the lenses you mention. Honestly the 24-70 is good enough that I've almost never used the 35. No question it is a sharp and consistently good lens, but unless you need the 1.8, the 24-70 gets the job done. The 50 is, IMO, a much more interesting lens. I agree with F15Todd above - the 14-30 makes more sense as it expands what you already have without duplicating a FL with a slightly faster aperture.

OK thank you for the feedback, I am generally all round in my photography at the moment not quite settled on a genre

I would pass on the 35/1.8 unless you find yourself shooting around 35mm all the time on the zoom, and want for more speed. If that's the case, may be justifiable. I've carried my Z6 with 24-70/4 as well as 3 primes at 20mm, 40mm, and 90mm. I hardly ever mount the primes when I already have the zoom. However, if I leave the zoom at home and force myself to use primes, I get a lot of enjoyment from that as well. They are all manual focus, so it's a very different shooting experience. In that case the wider focal length range available and the faster 40mm and 90mm apertures allow for more creative freedom, but it takes longer to switch focal lengths of course.

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and new to photography, I would like some advice.

I have a Z6 with the 50mm f/1.8 S and 24-70mm f/4 Z mount lenses.

I am thinking of buying the 35mm f/1.8 S lens and not sure what the benefits would be

Thanks in advance
You already have the 24-70. The 35mm FL is within that lens. So . . .
WHY were you thinking of buying the 35?

Before you buy a lens.
You should first identify and define the problem(s), then find the solution (lens) to the problem(s).
The solution (lens) to the problem may not be the 35.​

Once you have the lens, you can do it the other way, to find other uses for it.

Real Name
Chris
Everyone has given you very solid advice. The 50 can be useful but I almost never use the 35 out of necessity. I would put that money towards another lens or a light setup if you do not have one yet.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom