Lenticular Clouds in NH Today

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by jfenton, Oct 30, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    I've only ever seen this clouds in photos taken by others...but I was lucky enough to see two groups of them as the afternoon progressed today. I didn't have anything with me except for the 500 and a 24-85 AFSG which I keep in the car just in case...so I used the 24-85...hence the pincusioning. The trees were blowing rather wildly as well so they aren't that sharp.

These clouds kind of change from stacked pancakes to flying saucer appearances.

Hmmmmmm...when I uploaded these, pbase made them lok as though they've been hit with noise reduction or something....they don't look like that on my system?????????????????????????????????????????

original.

original.

original.

2. Jim
    This is interesting. I have not heard of nor seen these before. Really a cool looking cloud formation. How did you find out what they were? I learn something from most every post of yours that I view. Thanks!
    Dave

3. Hi Jim,

A really good catch.

The only time we ever saw a lenticular cloud was over Mt. McKinley in Denali National Park in July 2004. It was only a single cloud, not multiples like the ones you photographed.
    13712708-M.

They sure are strange looking clouds. Do you have any idea what makes them form that way?

Bob & Nan

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Hi Dave....

The only reason I know what they are is because I saw them on the weather channel once :)

5. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Neat Bob

I kinda like them!

Interestingly, all that I've read said these typically form over mountains...these however formed over a valley?

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful clouds Jim.

I have never noticed this type of cloud before. Looks like the were smudged in PS lol

Only the last one looks spotted with noise reduction or something Jim the first two look fine.

7. Very nice Jim, I know what you mean about pbase I have since with the help of Paul Monty Dog setup my own domain and website. Very cool looking formations sure hope you are feeling better.

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Mike....

I've got a name registered, now all I have to do is figure out how the heck to get it set up!!!

9. We see lenticular clouds often here in SW Virginia, primarily late Fall through Spring. They get this name because they look like lenses.

These clouds result when strong winds at the right level bring slightly moist air over a mountain range. The mountains force the air to rise, and the cooling of the air as it rises produces condensation, hence clouds, and the cloud shapes are formed by the mountains. It takes just the right combination of moisture and wind speed to produce this shape.

I've also seen them in the Rocky Mountains, but I've never had a camera available at the right time.

These are very nice captures.

10. great explanation Pa. Thanks

11. yep that looks like a lenticular cloud to me.. We get those out here in the Sierra Nevada.. They call then Sierra Waves...

Will post a image later today...

12. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    As Pa says, they form downwind of mountains and are often the visible part of 'standing waves'. The reason the clouds from the photographs are shown over a valley is probably due to them being formed by 'orographic lifting' by the mountains which form the valley sides. Orographic lifting is the effect of land masses, (eg. mountains) causing air to rise.
    The first photographs of 'cumulus castellanus' win the owner a night out with me. The second prize is two nights out with me. :eek:

:Depressed

13. These are fascinating. Pa has the explanation on their formation.
    It just amazes me how much can be made from the sky alone in terms of imagery.

14. I just posted this image:

38143275-L.

in a separate thread above. That's almost a 'cumulus castellanus' in the center. I'll accept a second prize since I'm sure there are better images out there. I'll also pass on the two nights out.:biggrin:

15. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    There's stretching a point for an unfair advantage and there's downright skullduggery!:biggrin:

PS Pa, where is that?

16. Jasper, AB, Canada. Taken on September 8, 2005.

There are more like it posted here.