Featured Critique Leopard and lions

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Butlerkid, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    What a pose this leopard gave us!

D5, 500mm, f4, 1/1250, ISO 5600
    i-Rvs28zz-X3.

one more
    i-7LkxDcS-X3.

An old, massive, battle-tested male...still in control of his territory
    D5, 500mm, f5, 1/500, ISO 2200
    Yes, we were that close! Almost full frame!
    i-L7Khqmv-X3.

i-tggKDgd-X3.

And a much younger male who dared enter the old lion's territory...then went running away!
    i-4WxFFqP-X3.

and....
    i-DD33sss-X3.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Fabulous! That second leopard shot was made for printing on metal!

3. Shot #1 is incredible! The leopard has a great look and is clearly watching you take the pic. I like how you have separated the subject from the background.

Cheers,.
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" Karen, great shots of animals I will always avoid. Cats scare me" - Georgie Beagle

4. Love the leapard shots. both magazine worthy. To me the "younger lion" has a greyish tinge. Maybe just my laptop

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks!
    Thanks so much!
    Appreciate the comments, Bob! I agree, the younger lion's coat is more of a gray-brown that the other lions. I even checked the raw file again. That's was just his coloring.

6. Beautiful!

Also Karen...You are not helping me tho, decide between the D850 or a D5.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

7. Karen, the two leopard shots are fabulous. I also think the younger lion shot is super as well. This must have been some trip and with your talent and kit you have really done yourself proud. Those leopard shots printed on metal would sell in a minute. Very well done.

8. Another great set
    I'm guessing it was a great trip

9. Wow, #1 is off the charts. Great shot!

10. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Incredible shots, Karen!!!

#1 is absolutely stunning. All of them are great. I have no critique other than show more shots!

11. Wow! Karen, this is an amazing set. I love the sharpness and control over the backgrounds--as well as the subject, of course.

I'm not sure if I should nitpick this one or not...but it seems to me like #1 would be even a bit stronger with a different crop. For me, there seems to be a little too much space to the right of the cat--and the cat isn't looking in that direction (which would then warrant that spacing). That being said, it's a super strong image--and probably worth going to Africa for!

Glenn

12. A colloquialism over here is to use the word "savage" to describe something as really superb..

I think that's appropriate to use here Karen....

13. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thank you! It really depends on what you want to shoot.....and whether or not you want 2 bodies or a "do it all" option.
    I am humbled by your comments. I truly only pick up a camera about 2-3 times a year. I always feel like I'm starting over! LOL!
    Thanks a lot, Randy!
    Glad you like it, Mitchell!
    Thanks a lot, Glenn. Check out my other threads!
    I always value feedback! I was shooting most of the time wide open or very close to it! Do you like this square crop better? An 8x10 would work also.
    i-kCqmtZh-X3.
    Savage? I like that! Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  14. That first pose is striking, and I look the crop on the first one rather than the square crop. What a trip you must have had, your images are gorgeous.

15. I’m primarily looking at it for the low light capabilities over any other body - especially over 3200 in relation to concert venues. And the occasional trip to Africa. :D

16. Absolutely marvelous photos for all the reasons already mentioned.

17. I think I prefer the first crop! There's something about the spaciousness of the first one that adds to the image.

Glenn

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. speechless.....the first shot would be printed 20x30 and it would be hanging in the family room

19. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    So appreciate your comments. We followed this leopard for quite a while, and were rewarded with the great pose!

20. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Sorry I missed thanking you both for the comments. I try not to "bump" my own thread very often! LOL!

Appreciate the comment, Louis. I also really like #3 - full frame...very little cropping!

Agreed. This leopard's grand pose is, I think, improved by the extra space on the right.