Less and less gear.

Over the past year I have really trimmed down my gear. At one time I used everything I had. Now I am thinking about going to one body. I have a D700 and D7000. I mainly use the D700. Sold most of the f/2.8, f/1.4 and a couple of f/1.8 lenses. Lenses are down to a Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR, Nikon 28-300mm VR, Nikon 70-300mm VR, Nikon 16-85mm VR DX, Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8 and a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. I haven't had one body in decades. Now I am thinking of going to just the D700. I find that I can see no real difference between the 28-300mm and the 70-300mm VR and I like the close focusing of the 28-300mm. I was going to sell the Tamron 28-75 but it is such a sharp lens and I will still have the option for a zoom in low light. I also find the 35mm DX works very well on a full frame. I know that many of you are happy to have just one body and a couple of lenses. Anyone go to just one body who used to use 2 or more bodies?

Nope, I shoot 3 bodies on a regular basis and occasionally a remote.
I did dump a few zooms in favor of fast primes, but that'll be the extent
of my trimming down. Now, if sales start to slip I could see a clearing out
of all but a couple but probably not. I'll haul 'em all 'til I die, too much pleasure.

of all but a couple but probably not. I'll haul 'em all 'til I die, too much pleasure.

+1

You got that right.

Real Name
Dan
I'm getting better at carrying less of it with me at any given time, but the gear locker continues to get fuller. I'm headed the opposite direction of the OP. Never used two bodies (other than carrying in the bag as backup) until the past couple of years. Now I never go on a serious shoot without using two. Typically one with a long prime on a tripod and the second with a zoom handheld. I guess like most things a lot depends on what/how one shoots.

I can see why you need more than one. Money making and enough gear are important. Health reasons I will be retired in 6 months. I just don't do much more than family anymore and find one body is enough. That said I still don't like having only one body. Will think hard about it. Already sold off a lot of stuff.

I'm getting better at carrying less of it with me at any given time, but the gear locker continues to get fuller. I'm headed the opposite direction of the OP. Never used two bodies (other than carrying in the bag as backup) until the past couple of years. Now I never go on a serious shoot without using two. Typically one with a long prime on a tripod and the second with a zoom handheld. I guess like most things a lot depends on what/how one shoots.

I can see why you like a couple of bodies and lenses. It really comes down to like you said how one shoots. Shooting style can make a huge difference.

I used to shoot a D300 and D40, since they served different purposes. Then I moved to the D700 as my only body for about 4 years and it did *everything* from landscapes to wildlife. It's basically a small D3! When the D600/D800/D4 came out, I'm back to shooting two bodies (D4 and D800) since Nikon positioned them in a way that you'll want to buy both.

Can't believe you sold fast glass, it is not cheap and is soooo handy I was using 1.4 in an antique store today, love that sig 30, even if the finish is falling off. I am fixed with a DX setup, 12/24, the 30 sig, a 50 1.4, 60 MM micro 2.8, 50 1.4,,18/200 I bought for Europe trip and swore I would sell when I got home, 7 years ago, still my favorite daylight walk around lens, also my cold dead hand lens, a 70/200 2.8, great bokeh, and trap shots nicely on micro, then there is my big boy the 200/400 f4. That has been my ring for 6 years, but sadly I, must sell the 200/400. I am satisfied with my gear, but then I do not have a spare money to explore these wonderful new lenses. IMHO never sell fast glass.

I sold my 300mm f2.8 because I simply never used it. I have never regretted it either. Fabulous lens which I could never afford to buy again but if it's just sitting there it's a waste. I would like the 85 f1.4 but I do wonder how much I would use that too. Other than that I am happy with what I've got. I keep my D300 in my signature but I have not used it once since getting the D800 so that can go soon too if I can find anyone who would want it.

Interesting read here about one camera, one lens -

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/the-lens-is-standard-the-photos-anything-but/?hp&_r=3&

I sold my 300mm f2.8 because I simply never used it. I have never regretted it either. Fabulous lens which I could never afford to buy again but if it's just sitting there it's a waste. I would like the 85 f1.4 but I do wonder how much I would use that too. Other than that I am happy with what I've got. I keep my D300 in my signature but I have not used it once since getting the D800 so that can go soon too if I can find anyone who would want it.

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/04/the-lens-is-standard-the-photos-anything-but/?hp&_r=3&

You are so talented with micro and bugs. I would have thought you would have made great use of it with extension tubes.

You are so talented with micro and bugs. I would have thought you would have made great use of it with extension tubes.

Thanks Tom. To be honest I love working with the 60 for that. It means I have to get ludicrously close but I very rarely lose a bug because I am too close these days and know exactly what techniques to use now to achieve that. The 300 was the first big purchase I made (before the recession) when I was just starting out (my photography life only began at 40 :redface:) and I did use it for birds for a year or so but once I found my calling as it were I just drifted away from it. I got a very good price though and the person I sold it to was delighted. Really, I only ever use the 60 and the 14-24 in the winter when the bugs have all gone. The 50 is mounted on my D300 which as I say, I never use.

I used to shoot a D300 and D40, since they served different purposes. Then I moved to the D700 as my only body for about 4 years and it did *everything* from landscapes to wildlife. It's basically a small D3! When the D600/D800/D4 came out, I'm back to shooting two bodies (D4 and D800) since Nikon positioned them in a way that you'll want to buy both.

Yes for me the D700 does everything I need.

Can't believe you sold fast glass, it is not cheap and is soooo handy I was using 1.4 in an antique store today, love that sig 30, even if the finish is falling off. I am fixed with a DX setup, 12/24, the 30 sig, a 50 1.4, 60 MM micro 2.8, 50 1.4,,18/200 I bought for Europe trip and swore I would sell when I got home, 7 years ago, still my favorite daylight walk around lens, also my cold dead hand lens, a 70/200 2.8, great bokeh, and trap shots nicely on micro, then there is my big boy the 200/400 f4. That has been my ring for 6 years, but sadly I, must sell the 200/400. I am satisfied with my gear, but then I do not have a spare money to explore these wonderful new lenses. IMHO never sell fast glass.

I agree that fast glass is nice. What I found is I no longer used them. The two hardest lenses I did sell were the 30mm f/1.4 and the Sig 150mm f/2.8 Macro. I did keep the Tokina 100mm Macro. One reason I kept the 28-75 Tamron is it is small and light. The 70-200mm f/2.8's are just to heavy for me now like many of the fast glass.

I know what you mean about the 85 f/1.4 would one use it. Unless it would be on a regular basis one could always rent.

I remember having a bag that weighed the same as my golf bag. Being 72, I had to move on.

Today I frequently use a digital Leica M9 and 3 lenses. Or a D800 and a few lenses. or even a D7000 with a zoom.

I'm down to a Sony NEX-7 and two lenses, 16-50 and 70-300. Travel has become much more enjoyable. I can recall some years ago 'amused' by a post in which an older author suggested reducing the amount of equipment to better enjoy travel. Deja vu, here I am an 'older' member agreeing with the suggestion.

:rolleyes:

I have a d90 and 18-70. That's it. I don't miss any of my other gear and honestly, I can't tell you the last time I used my d90. I enjoy my outing much more without dragging all the camera stuff with me. :smile:

I thought m43 would be my "small kit/one camera solution" but much to my surprise now much of my imaging is done with a D7000 and the new Sigma 18-250 (which is surprisingly good), but about once every 3 months or so I go landscaping or birding for a couple of days in the Jeep and still take two tripods and 2 or 3 bodies, but not as frequently or when I'm traveling. Getting a 7100 just for the extra reach with the Sigma. Mid 60's lots of old and recent bone injuries does slow me down a bit. Also my interest in video has taken me back to tripod work which means I'm keeping my 5 "real" lenses for that kind of imaging.

For me the D7XXX (perhaps the 5xxx) has hit the sweet spot for size and performance.

Latest threads

Top Bottom