Less Bluebell, More Image

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nfoto, Oct 16, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The old adage "less is more" was invented before the onslaught of ultrafast lenses. Now, you capture less than ever before, as witnessed by this recent shot of a bluebell flower,

Camera: D2X
    Lens: Repro-Nikkort 85 mm f/1 @f/1

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WOW that just jumps out of the screen. Great color.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful!

4. Wow...the blue is very beautiful and captivating... while the unusual dimension given by the distance and aperture is almost other-worldly...two dimensional yet three dimensional at once.
    Incredible work as always. Thanks for sharing!
    P.S. I sent you a private message this weekend, Dr. Rørslett... if you have the time to help me out a bit I would greatly appreciate it.

5. Very nice, very simple and very cool colors.
    And F1@F1 cool!

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Bluebell II

How colours are rendered in this kind of shooting, depends heavily upon light direction. The example below is the same bluebell flower, from the same shooting, but against the light source instead (very early morning sun, partly shining through bushes and undergrowth).

Nikon D2X, Repro-Nikkor 85 mm f/1 @f/1

7. again, a beautiful shot...the lighting gives the central area (lets see if i remember 9th grade bio... the pistil and/or stamens?) a very ethereal dimension.
    Hard to imagine being able to create this with the stuff we can buy, even if it does cost a pretty penny. Sometimes it seems the work of gods.
    Of course, I don't think i'd put anything beyond your capabilities.

A note to all- I don't want to seem overly gushing here, but I've really been profoundly affected by a few things at this forum lately...This forum is like a second home...and the people here are my family and mentors.
    I am constantly wowed by Dr. Rørslett's photographic skills as well as his kindness and generosity with his knowledge. We are very fortunate to have people like him with us here.

I have replied to your private message with a few questions....

Take care all.
    HD

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Just for the sake of education, it is the style and the outer section is the stigma. Here the flower already has been pollinated and you can in fact see pollen grains with extended pollen tubes (near the tip, lower side).

The bluebell genus has the anthers seated deep within the corolla, with UV-fluorescent nectaria at the very bottom. The pollen is strongly UV-absorbing and this together with the brightly fluorescing nectaria and strongly UV-reflective perianth evidently gives an interesting pattern as far as the pollinators are concerned. Clever arrangement and these species always have good seed-set.

9. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I just love the thin DOF of this fast lens, great capture.

Ben

10. Very pleasant to look at. I think I have get into that superfast field too.
    Last week I saw a Rayxar (63 0.75, I guess) on ebay. Starting bid was about 100 EURO. Should I have bid on it? :confused:
    Cheers

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

That very lens, 65/0.75 Rayxar, is now in my possession, Harry, so you would have had to put up a hard fight to get it :biggrin:

I'm a little hesitant as to what its final destiny should be, though. I have shot many nice close-ups with it, so it could be pressed into service for that purpose I suppose. On the other hand, the lens is enormous and weighs about 2 kg worth of pure glass and metal, so handling it on the D2X is tiresome to say the least after a while. Perhaps I reconsider the intended use and make an ultrafast deep-sky camera with it instead. I have gathered all pieces needed for this project as of today, but need to decide whether I want to end up with a focusable camera or not. For deep-sky applications the subject always is at infinity so once you have calibrated for infinity focus, the camera can be left there permanently. But an inner voice tells me that there must be more than the deep-sky heavens to explore with an f/0.75 lens focusing just a wee bit closer than the horizon. I might end up with a dual solution in the end, or make one fix-focus deep-sky camera with a 50/0.75 lens instead and keep the 65/0.75 for other purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005
  12. Hehe, I should have noted your username for future strategy :biggrin:
    Anyway, I am sure it will be in better use where it is bestowed now.

I can dimly remember that a friend (or so) of mine once used it for astrophotography. Maybe I can track him down after all these years and talk him into selling it to me (for less than 100 EURO, of course :smile: ).
    Cheers

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Meanwhile, try this link
    Deep-sky camera with 65 mm f/0.75 Rayxar

With regards to bidding strategy, you'll never see my username during the actual bidding. I always make my first bid during the final 5 secs.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2005
  14. Thanks Bjorn, but I have known this link already.

But there is one thing I wonder about:
    what camera will you modify to get this lens to focus at infinity. Doesn't it have a very short register (or whatever this is called in English, "Auflagemass" would be the German word)?

15. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Back focus is 0.8 mm so it is "kind of" short yes.

I haven't decided on the camera end of the system yet, but work with different options. One is butchering a D1 or D1X camera, removing most of the stuff in front of the CCD. I have taken measurements and it is clearly doable, but the camera will be sacrificed permanently (to be read: destroyed). Another option is likewise cutting into a 35 mm rangefinder-type camera, of which I have several (not the Nikon S3 or SP for this, however). The third and probably easiest option is using a 120 film magazine since there is nothing in front of it and these can be found dirt cheap. I do have a 645 magazine that could easily combine with the lens and all hardware too, so this is a 2-3 day project at most. The final option is using one of my old Linhof Technica also with 120 magazine, but this offers the possibility of a focusing groundglass. I need to look a little more into the latter option because the lens is so big it will probably conflict with the Linhof rail. However, I might convince myself of destroying the 55 Model Linhof Lab Technika for this noble purpose. Decisions, decisions, all the time. :frown: