1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Less than obvious photo ops in DC?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stephen.s1, May 7, 2007.

1. Heading out in the ol' Airstream, in a few minutes, bound for Washington DC.

Haven't been there in years. Is there anything off the beaten (tourist) track that's worth seeing/thinking about/or shooting?

I'll have internet access at the Cherry Hill Campground, and will check in this evening.

Thanks.

2. dspeed

dspeed

Dec 17, 2006
    Carlsbad, NM
    Stephen,

As much as I am put off by the antics of the crowd who gather in Foggy Bottom, I find DC a visual feast.

Do you know about the annex to the Smithsonian out at Dulles?

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

The architecture found in the District is worth a trip in itself (apart from the famous buildings...).

I like to people watch in Chevy Chase.

Dave

(A small town boy who makes it down there every couple of years...)

3. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Please tell us more about what you like to shoot. He are some out of the usual places for DC tourists: Inner Harbor, Fells Point and B&O railroad museum in Baltimore, Annapolis, various places along the C&O canal from Georgetown to the falls, restaurant haven in Bethesda and Old Town Alexandria.

4. I was just there last week at Cheery Hill, very nice CG. I just took photos of the regular stuff, and the zoo was great, just go early to catch the pandas out and about.

5. Personally i like the monuments, Arlington Cemetery, etc.... Ive been there a few times, and each time it still gives me a sense of security, pride, history, and sadness at the same time.

6. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I like Dumbarton Oaks in Georgetown. Marjorie Merriweather Post's Hillwood House, also located in Georgetown, is really nice with lots of interesting, international collections of artifacts from her family - including an incredible Fabergé collection. I have spoken to the Hillwood staff before and they are very photographer friendly for the outdoor areas of the estate. You can also visit Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, and The National Arboretum.

Everything is blooming in DC right now so you have hit it just right.

7. Thanks all for your good ideas.

Now off to the Mall for starters.

8. As a sidelight to today's tour, the FDR memorial was super. It had BW written all over it. Gave me a chance to use TriX film... No chimpin' there. Can't wait to get home and process the film.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.