Lesson Learned - Secure Your Logins

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Ah yes, an interesting one the "Not sign". It is used in some programming languages to mean a logical NOT.
It is on the UK keyboard, not on the US keyboards. Some symbols were switched around to allow for the local currency symbol as well as the $, and somehow we gained a NOT.
So although it is on my keyboard, which is why I typed it, it isn't in the basic character set.

I just finished going through that. It led me to The World's Best Password Advice:

https://www.michaelhorowitz.com/BestPasswordAdvice.php

I think that is excellent advice on managing passwords. It convinced me to give up on LastPass. I don't use it anymore anyway since I much prefer KeePassX.

So I want to get rid of LastPass. If I just drop the app in the trash does that remove it completely?
Fascinating read and useful. Thanks. I've been using a variation of his "formula" method for over a decade.

My background is about 40 years in IT. Computer programmer / Systems analyst. I never trusted Facebook, Twitter, or any of them. I will never use them. I am careful with my passwords. So much so, I wrote my own password database program. Everything is encrypted. Only I have access. Many of the common password database programs out there have been hacked. There was one in the news recently. I can't remember the name of it, but they urgently sent out a message to their users to stop using it.

I build my own computer systems. That includes Linux based servers and workstations. I use a Linux firewall as a frontend to my home network. Basically everything is locked down. In setting up the firewall, I rolled my own version of the Linux server to customize it for security.

I do use Google Chrome when needed, but stripped out all plug-ins. I will not allow any passwords to be saved by the browser.

For most of my browsing, I use the Brave browser. It is secure, and blocks all ads and trackers. You control what you want left behind.

Real Name
Ken
My background is about 40 years in IT. Computer programmer / Systems analyst. I never trusted Facebook, Twitter, or any of them. I will never use them. I am careful with my passwords. So much so, I wrote my own password database program. Everything is encrypted. Only I have access. Many of the common password database programs out there have been hacked. There was one in the news recently. I can't remember the name of it, but they urgently sent out a message to their users to stop using it.

I build my own computer systems. That includes Linux based servers and workstations. I use a Linux firewall as a frontend to my home network. Basically everything is locked down. In setting up the firewall, I rolled my own version of the Linux server to customize it for security.

I do use Google Chrome when needed, but stripped out all plug-ins. I will not allow any passwords to be saved by the browser.

For most of my browsing, I use the Brave browser. It is secure, and blocks all ads and trackers. You control what you want left behind.
Have things changed for Brave? I had mentioned it here a few years ago as a browser option and it was not that well received.

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Ah yes, an interesting one the "Not sign". It is used in some programming languages to mean a logical NOT.
It is on the UK keyboard, not on the US keyboards. Some symbols were switched around to allow for the local currency symbol as well as the $, and somehow we gained a NOT.
So although it is on my keyboard, which is why I typed it, it isn't in the basic character set.
So....do you "never" allow a browser to save your login passwords?

So....do you "never" allow a browser to save your login passwords?
I'll chime in here by saying DO NOT let your browser store passwords to anything that matters, especially sites that access financial, payment or certain personal data (banking, credit cards, Amazon, health insurance, etc.) You can let the browser store passwords to sites like Nikon Cafe, but make sure your are not using the same email address for your social logins as you use for your critical ones. Get a secure email (e.g. Proton or Tutanota) and use it for all critical communications. I have six email addresses, each has a different purpose.

I'm sure Richard and others will have additional insights.

Last edited:
FB and web forums I use specific email addresses. None of which I use for online shopping and completely different one for financial ones. Even have a special one for friends and family. Then again I think the shortest pw I have on a shopping or financial site is around 25 characters.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom