Let me tell you a story...

... of an evil king who invaded with his monkey army.

Or something like that :confused:

One side of the lower wall of Angkor Wat, with 100+ metres of continual carvings depicting a story.

If you're in the mood you can turn the corner for the next 100+ metre story, and so on - incredible workmanship!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks guys - it's pretty impressive as the whole place is covered with intricate carvings and only took 35 years to build. Doubly impressive when you consider how long it took Europeans to build cathedrals at the time. Don't even consider the Italians, taking 100's of years to build towers that lean etc!

Thanks all. We had a tour guide for my first visit to Angkor, and my wife kept on wandering off, leaving me to all the story telling (!). We were so lucky in a way that it was quite at Angkor, due to the recession. I think the top tier of the main temple is now open again, with lines of tourists waiting to clamber up to the top. Still, if you pick your time away from the tourist busses you'll be able to find some private time.

I can't wait to go back and break out the tripod and 10 stop for some moody shots! Angkor Wat itself takes 2 hours for a quick walk around, but I think I could stay there all week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom