Lets Do the Egret

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Oct 5, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    The reddish egret

first you move to the right
    38762802-L.

show those wings
    38762813-L.

turn to the center
    38762806-L.

let loose
    38762808-L.

get down
    38762815-L.

turn to the left
    38762814-L.

2. Harry, I really like these images. This bird was performing for you and you captured it well. Kind of like a ballerina in some of these shots.

3. Hey Harry! Were these at MINWR or Viera? Doesn't really look like Viera, maybe Click Pond? Just curious. Great shots, though.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I saw the same behavior from these little guys on one of my trips down there. They are pretty hyper, and pretty much ignore you when they are in their hunting mode.

Nice series. :smile:

5. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gordon. The reddish egret is a joy to shoot. It hunts by running and lurching in one direction and then the next. It also opens its wings skyward at
    different times during the hunt.

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yeah you've been hinting how much you like the "Macrenna"
    guess you finally taught one of your birdies the steps :biggrin:

Always a pleasure seeing your work :wink:

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Kevin,

He was hanging out at Merritt Island. There are no reddish egrets in the wetlands and only one at Merritt. According to my Smitsonian handbook "Birds of Florida" there are only 2000 pairs of them in the US.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Harry,

This guy is a great dancer and lots of fun to watch.. Capturing is great. You did wonderful..

The Snowey does that as well... Good stuff

where did ya find him...

OHHHHH PS Baby ducks lookin good.. So great to see. Glad the alligators are busy doing something else.

9. Great shots! I have never seen this variety, maybe they dont come up to the NorthWest?

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Frank. He is easy to shoot becasue all his concentration is on the hunt. Now if he would just come closer to the shore it would be perfect.

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Ben. It ain't easy teaching these guys the steps. :biggrin:

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gale,

The reddish egret is great to shoot because he always hunts in the same animated manner. Snowys and tri-coloreds do it too just not as regularly.

The BBWDs are growing fast unfortunately I only counted 7 of them on Monday.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi Andreas,

There are only 2000 couples of this bird in the US. They are only found in coastal Florida, the gulf coast states and parts of Mexico.