Let's Map Our Membership!

Hey everyone.
I had a great idea. Let's use Google Maps to map our membership. Not only can we see if there are other members that live nearby, but we can also find out where concentrations of Cafe members are and can possibly use that information for planning of events.

Here is what I did.
I created a Google account for all of us to share.
the username is: nikoncafemap
the password is: nikkor

Follow this link
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&...17218707155278392.00000112006c950018231&msa=0

It will take you to the map, I already entered my location.
You will have to click sign-in (use the above log in info) at the top right to be able to access the editing features of the map.

Once signed in. You can find a general location (please dont give your exact address for your own security and privacy reasons). And then place one of those blue bubble pins on your spot. Title the "landmark" your username.

If we get alot of people to do this, we can find out who is nearby and can possibly create a better atmosphere for networking.

Hope everyone likes this idea!
Blake
bep207

J

jaymc

Not meaning to be a wet blanket, but I think we've already started a project like this, Blake:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=62651

Tried to follow the link, but got lost - needs update?

- Jay

Hey everyone.
I had a great idea. Let's use Google Maps to map our membership. Not only can we see if there are other members that live nearby, but we can also find out where concentrations of Cafe members are and can possibly use that information for planning of events.

Here is what I did.
I created a Google account for all of us to share.
the username is: nikoncafemap
the password is: nikkor

Follow this link
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&...17218707155278392.00000112006c950018231&msa=0

It will take you to the map, I already entered my location.
You will have to click sign-in (use the above log in info) at the top right to be able to access the editing features of the map.

Once signed in. You can find a general location (please dont give your exact address for your own security and privacy reasons). And then place one of those blue bubble pins on your spot. Title the "landmark" your username.

If we get alot of people to do this, we can find out who is nearby and can possibly create a better atmosphere for networking.

Hope everyone likes this idea!
Blake
bep207

OK, submitted my link (yellow), you know there are other colors besides blue! :tongue:

- Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
J

jaymc

Sandi,
Started this awhile ago

I think that there is an advantage to using Google Maps rather than Google Earth. Even though Google Earth looks prettier it requires frequent update files to keep it up to date. Google Maps doesn't.

- Jay

J

jaymc

Yeah, I think it's a fun idea; I wonder if we could integrate the data from each of these into one cohesive map.

There is a KML link on the top-right of Google Maps, maybe if we find the latest file it can somehow be input through here. Anyone done this?

- Jay

J

jaymc

Yeah, I think it's a fun idea; I wonder if we could integrate the data from each of these into one cohesive map.

I see you live off of I-90 in Montana ... I remember driving through there on my way back home from the east coast - got up to 126 mph! Is it still legal to do that?

- Jay

I see you live off of I-90 in Montana ... I remember driving through there on my way back home from the east coast - got up to 126 mph! Is it still legal to do that?

- Jay

No, they got rid of that. The law was that you could drive at a "reasonable speed", and several state supreme court cases demonstrated that law enforcement and drivers weren't going to agree on what that was!

Sean

Latest threads

Top Bottom