Let's pay it forward

Real Name
Randy
2 years ago I changed my photography business to mostly shooting for charities and non profits vs paying gigs. I still shoot sports for money and wildlife for fun.

So I thought I would start this thread to encourage others to offer their photography skills to people who need the help.

Last Sunday I shot a very special prom for handicap kids and adults who never had a prom. I donated my time and gave away the jpgs and I'm going to print each picture (at Sam's club) from my own pocket and send the pics to the prom guests.

Below is a link to a Zenfolio slide show of Sunday's pics.

So how about we use this thread to post what we do for free. We are all very fortunate to have this special skill, photography, and we can put smiles on peoples faces.

here's the slideshow link (p.s. look at those smiles):

http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/p987741192/slideshow

Here are some other groups I have donated for to give you some idea:

http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/f1034365389

I shoot pro bono for our volunteer fire department every year. Other groups as well including conservation, church and autism awareness as well.

I love doing these things.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A good challenge, Randy. After swearing off weddings last year, I had not intended to do any public shooting again, especially at no cost, but here I am in the midst of shooting for our church directory. Certainly, more to follow.

Thorsten

Great idea, Randy!

Since my kids started school, I have plenty of opportunities to take pictures and share them. I sign up as the "class photographer" at the beginning of each school year, and then visit events when I can. I share the images for free on my website and print out a few samples to decorate the classrooms. But I also have the prints for sale on my site, as a fund raiser for the class room. Last year we bough iPad covers for the classroom from the proceeds. It's a lot of fun to be involved, and it also allows me to practice my photography skills (and gives me excuses to buy new gear ;)).

Last week, the whole school had their annual "field day" with lots of fun:

The week before was a musical performance of all K-1 classes "Sounds of the rain forest":

And of course we do plenty of "class pictures". I need to get better at directing the kids to look at the camera, though...

I have been shooting for 4-years now, our local Alex's Lemonade Stand. I have also provided several images (see below) for free to the National Organization.

Race for the Cure 5k (just shot my 3rd one Saturday). If you haven't been to one of those events, it is really amazing. Lots and lots of cancer survivors show up to celebrate their lives and successful battles with cancer. Pretty emotional stuff.

sambru

In Memoriam 1957-2014
I give some of my wildlife prints to non profit charitable organizations so they can sell them at auctions - in excess of $5000.00 so far has been raised in the past 4 years with my prints in which I didn't take a cent.

This an example of one.

Randy - I think that what you are doing is awesome. Really. Thanks for giving.

I gave an image to a local Audubon Society group for use in a calendar they sold to to raise funds for conservation. Nothing compared to what you have done, but it made me happy to do it.

I shoot everything for my school and church for free... but the most satisfying session I had was for this young mother who was diagnosed with breast cancer several years ago now. We did this session before she got too far into her first rounds of chemo. She is now back into chemo and battling for her life.

DSC_0201 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0246 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0314 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0321 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0352 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0397 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0398 by Fight On!, on Flickr

DSC_0363 by Fight On!, on Flickr

Hi Randy, may I compliment your and others' generosity for using your considerable photographic skills in providing this service to your community. May I ask a question, the context for which is this: several years ago throughout the neighboring communities, the annual Komen Race for the Cure took place. I had just acquired a Nikon 135/2 DC, hooked it up to my D700 and found a great picture taking spot up the street in the Philly Chestnut Hill section. I took many shots, some small # of which were half-way decent. After getting home I contacted the Komen foundation and told them that had taken some decent shots and would gladly donate them to the Foundation. I was greeted by return email with the requirement to fill out a waiver that I would assume all liability for any civil action that might result from their publishing the photos, that I would hold the Foundation harmless from any action brought against me personally by anyone, etc., etc. So, I did not send them in.

Have you encountered anything like this in your pro-bono work? If so, how have you responded to it? thanks... anthony

Real Name
Randy
Hi Randy, may I compliment your and others' generosity for using your considerable photographic skills in providing this service to your community. May I ask a question, the context for which is this: several years ago throughout the neighboring communities, the annual Komen Race for the Cure took place. I had just acquired a Nikon 135/2 DC, hooked it up to my D700 and found a great picture taking spot up the street in the Philly Chestnut Hill section. I took many shots, some small # of which were half-way decent. After getting home I contacted the Komen foundation and told them that had taken some decent shots and would gladly donate them to the Foundation. I was greeted by return email with the requirement to fill out a waiver that I would assume all liability for any civil action that might result from their publishing the photos, that I would hold the Foundation harmless from any action brought against me personally by anyone, etc., etc. So, I did not send them in.

Have you encountered anything like this in your pro-bono work? If so, how have you responded to it? thanks... anthony
thanks Anthony

never and I wouldn't shoot if i did and I have shot for some big charities

I do carry $2M in liability insurance for my photography business

Real Name
Tim
Almost everything I do is done for free, mainly because I wouldn't feel right charging the organizations I've shot for (mainly performing arts clubs). In general I've told them to take whatever small amount they might have paid me and put it back into their kids. I benefit from the practice it gives me with my camera they benefit because they can't afford a professional photographer and get the occasional decent photo out of me and my cameras. :D

Great thread topic Randy.

My fiancee works for Fletcher Allen Hospital which is the largest hospital in the state. She works as Event Coordinator in the office of Development. They are responsible for handling all donations, and organizing fund raising events for the hospital, and more specifically for the Vermont Children's Hospital within Fletcher Allen.

Since I started doing serious photography I have become involved in doing a fair bit of both paid, and volunteer photography work for them. Each year they hold one of the biggest fund raisers in the area called "The Big Change Roundup for Kids". It's a collaboration between Fletcher Allen, and the local country radio station WOKO. The entire event stretches from January until March. People sign up as "Change Bandit's" and go around collecting change until the actual "Roundup" which occurs on the second weekend in March when the Development office, and WOKO over the course of five days travel to four different area Walmart's broadcasting live as people bring in their change. The fifth day takes place in the main lobby of the Hospital, where many of the area businesses bring in their donations, and several of the various departments around the hospital get to bring in their collections at that time.

In past years I've only had the opportunity to photograph the last day or two of the event, but this year since I've been out of work I was asked by the Head of Pediatrics for the Vermont Children's Hospital to tag along on the entire five day tour helping out here and there, but mostly to photograph the event in it's entirety. This year the event raised over $267,000. I had a blast documenting the event, and I've already been asked to do it again next year.

Here's just a small handful of pictures from that event.

1. One of the WOKO personalities being goofy with some money that people brought in.

2. This is a local Boy Scout Troop that participates every year posing with the WOKO crew, and Dr. Lewis First (Head of Pediatrics at the Vermont Children's Hospital).

3. Each year the VCH selects a "Champion" to represent the Hospital. This year we were visited by the 2010-2013 champions so we did a shot with them, and the current champion who is the pretty girl with the bandana wrapped in her hair.

4. Another shot of some people flashing the cash they raised.

Nice to see what folks are up to.

This past March I had the great opportunity to shoot for We Day Seattle, 15,000 or so invited school kids who earn their way by service throughout the year. Please read the web site, I had never heard of these folks, but what a job these kids do. Restores some of my faith in the youth of today.

Here are just a few of the over 800 images I delivered from the long and joyous day.

First, just a bit of what the crowd was like:

Some of the speakers. I encourage you to check out the web site and read more about them.

Martin Luther King III

Spencer West, an incredible story, he has climbed Mt. Kilamjaro... on his hands

Hannah Alper - wise beyond her years

Dr. Elizabeth Lindsey - first Polynesian and female fellow of National Geographic

Russell Wilson - big deal, he won a Superbowl - I am still not a Seahawk fan ......

Last, but far from least, one of Seattle's finest Sports Photographers, Rod Mar, with his latest Pro Equipment photographing Pete Carrol ( by the way, visit Rod's website for some truly awesome sports, and other, photos )

Hmmm, looks like I need to check my copyright, eh???????

Thanks, Randy, great thread, hope my contribution stands up with the rest.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Great thread Randy.
I shoot and donate images to treehouse wildlife rehab: http://treehousewildlifecenter.com/index.html. And donate matted and framed images and large canvas prints of wildlife for their auction use, also, I shoot the special Olympics at the local schools for free, and also the St. Louis area writers week conference for high school students.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom