Let's pay it forward

I would like to do more photography for charities. For now, I offer my services for free for various teams and individuals of the Orland Park Youth Association baseball organization:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glenn

Glenn, a quick question... and please don't take it in a negative way...

How much of these shots (in particular) is your skill with the camera and how much is your skill with post processing? Don't get me wrong, they are incredible, but I'm curious if it's mostly one vs. the other or just a good combination of both. I couldn't in my wildest dreams think I'd be able to do what you've done in these shots. #2 especially... I love how you were able to capture the intesity of an athlete and still show it's just a little boy.

I've donated some prints (13x19 matted) to a scholarship program at my wife's community college.

Also take pictures during disaster relief callouts so members can use them 'back home' at their churches for what their support accomplishes
Most recently http://web52.smugmug.com/Disaster-Relief/Mud-out/JamestownColorado/32457705_cp3nDF
but also
http://web52.smugmug.com/Disaster-Relief/ChainsawMinistry/Bastrop/19687365_J6RSSZ
http://web52.smugmug.com/Disaster-Relief/ChainsawMinistry/Tuscaloosa-2011/17069138_xvx2fR

What a neat idea for a thread, Randy. I am inspired by the generosity of all of you!! I don't have anything I do on a regular basis, but try to volunteer my services whenever I can for activities I am aware of. Sometimes I am shy about my abilities and feel like no one would want my photos. But I do what I can when someone wants me to help out. I don't make money off my photos. It has always been a hobby.

One of the funnest ones I did was to go on a pioneer trek last summer with our youth group from church. I took photos of the experience and made a slideshow, which I put on DVD for all the kids. It was well received....it was so dusty that I mostly just used a point and shoot camera. This was my favorite from the trek.

I did animal photography for our local SPCA, providing photos for their pet adoption website. After 4 years of doing this almost weekly, I got burned out and disappointed by their indifference to having good photos (as I am sure most Nikon Cafe members could provide) vs. poorly composed, focused and exposed cell phone or point-and-shoot snaps. But if you can find such an opportunity where the people would really appreciate the time and effort you put into making nice photos, that is one possibility for people to consider.

Barry
That is really disappointing to hear. Our local humane society said their addition rate increased quite a bit when a local photographer started doing pictures pro bono.

Glenn, a quick question... and please don't take it in a negative way...

How much of these shots (in particular) is your skill with the camera and how much is your skill with post processing? Don't get me wrong, they are incredible, but I'm curious if it's mostly one vs. the other or just a good combination of both. I couldn't in my wildest dreams think I'd be able to do what you've done in these shots. #2 especially... I love how you were able to capture the intesity of an athlete and still show it's just a little boy.
Steve,

Post processing techniques helped with 2, 3 and 7. I really liked 2, so I was thrilled when his mother ordered a very large print for framing (at cost). After that, I photographed her other son in his hockey uniform so that she could have similar portraits of each son hanging side by side.

3 is mostly processing. The background came from an image that I captured while visiting Tropicana Field in Florida a few years back!

The others required very little processing.

Thanks,
Glenn

I have a friend who worked very hard to form a 501C charity to give school uniforms to kids who for whatever reason could not afford them. She recently got a storefront location to house and distribute the uniforms and asked if I would come over to the opening and take a few pictures. I thought immediately of this thread and was thrilled to be able to help. She wanted mostly people snaps for her web site:

and I had an opportunity to fool around with some fun shots:

I'm far from being anything professional, but it was a great experience for a well needed cause!

I have a friend who worked very hard to form a 501C charity to give school uniforms to kids who for whatever reason could not afford them. She recently got a storefront location to house and distribute the uniforms and asked if I would come over to the opening and take a few pictures. I thought immediately of this thread and was thrilled to be able to help. She wanted mostly people snaps for her web site:
Yeah! Thanks for helping them out. Hope it goes well for them.

Yeah! Thanks for helping them out. Hope it goes well for them.
Thanks Bill. I'm retired from the school system and my friend is still working there. We were both business managers and were in touch with all of the schools. Any counselor who sees a student with a special need can refer them to my friend's organization. If a kid feels better about themselves, they can concentrate better at school. My hats off to my friend for not only coming up with this idea, but actually seeing it through!

Real Name
Chris
I have always offered all of my industrial/scientific photography to the internet community without charge, or even the requirement of credit*, if the end use was educational.

In the spirit of Randy's idea here, I will offer any technical photography and especially environmental portraiture of any scientist or technician working in their field, for a not for profit, educational use, for free, and without restrictions. My only caveat is that I retain the right of unconditional reproduction and sale to external clients, and for self promotion.

Last edited:
Randy,
Thank you for this thread..it really encourages charity and social work which in return will come back to you..
treating people the way you like to be treated will always work no matter what.
it gives a warm and peaceful feeling when you put a smile on somebody's face and especially if this someone is in need.
Deserves to be a sticky on top of all stickies.
Thanks to Randy and ALL the wonderful photographers who give away their time and knowledge for free.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
This thread is easily one of my favorites ever here, and I will keep coming back to it over and over. Let's see it grow!

Thanks, Randy.

Real Name
Randy
This thread is easily one of my favorites ever here, and I will keep coming back to it over and over. Let's see it grow!

Thanks, Randy.

it really says who we are and why the cafe is different

I did a special needs prom dance and dinner portrait session a few months to help a girl scout with her Gold Award project. These kids never got to go to a prom and were so excited.

Here's the link to the gallery: http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/p987741192

Real Name
Randy
Randy,
Thank you for this thread..it really encourages charity and social work which in return will come back to you..
treating people the way you like to be treated will always work no matter what.
it gives a warm and peaceful feeling when you put a smile on somebody's face and especially if this someone is in need.
Deserves to be a sticky on top of all stickies.
Thanks to Randy and ALL the wonderful photographers who give away their time and knowledge for free.

this is quite an amazing group of people here, I am proud to be a member

Real Name
Randy
This young man, Grier (9 years old) battled cancer from age 2 and passed earlier this year. (The story was in the Charlotte Observer, over 3k people attended his funeral). Colin Carter and Cindys, both Cafe members and very good friends of mine, helped me with this collage. The images were mine (and not very good TBH), Colin cleaned up the BG-s like you wouldn't believe and Cindy made the collage and we gave it to the family. Stuff like this makes money look irrelevant. On the day i shot these Grier had just come from chemo and still played the BB game, such amazing courage in such a young man. I cried at his funeral and I'm close now as I type this post.

Don't feel bad for him,for he is in a better place than here.
Young or old ..this cancer does not care.

Real Name
Chris
it really says who we are and why the cafe is different

I did a special needs prom dance and dinner portrait session a few months to help a girl scout with her Gold Award project. These kids never got to go to a prom and were so excited.

Here's the link to the gallery: http://www.carolinasportsphotography.com/p987741192

Poor kid. She was probably all over his feet with those 'stompers!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom