Let's pay it forward

This young man, Grierllrs old) battled cancer from age 2 and passed earlier this year. (The story was in the Charlotte Observer, over 3k people attended his funeral). Colin Carter and Cindys, both Cafe members and very good friends of mine, helped me with this collage. The images were mine (and not very good TBH), Colin cleaned up the BG-s like you wouldn't believe and Cindy made the collage and we gave it to the family. Stuff like this makes money look irrelevant. On the day i shot these Grier had just come from chemo and still played the BB game, such amazing courage in such a young man. I cried at his funeral and I'm close now as I type this post.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Thank you Randy and everyone else that help make the world such a beautiful place.

Again, another kudos to this thread. I just re-read the whole thing (nah, I don't have to wake up at 5 AM in the morning!!!) and what a wonderful group of gals and guys. I love this site!

This young man, Grier (9 years old) battled cancer from age 2 and passed earlier this year. (The story was in the Charlotte Observer, over 3k people attended his funeral). Colin Carter and Cindys, both Cafe members and very good friends of mine, helped me with this collage. The images were mine (and not very good TBH), Colin cleaned up the BG-s like you wouldn't believe and Cindy made the collage and we gave it to the family. Stuff like this makes money look irrelevant. On the day i shot these Grier had just come from chemo and still played the BB game, such amazing courage in such a young man. I cried at his funeral and I'm close now as I type this post.

Randy, making this collage for the family is the most special thing you could do. They will always treasure this.

Real Name
Randy
time to wake this thread up

I shot the 2nd annual Team Nick 5k yesterday http://jonesracingcompany.com/team-nick-5k/

Thorsten

Here is a question I'm facing with one of my volunteer activities - maybe somebody has an idea? The question is how to best distribute the photos. Some background: The school where I help out with photography asked me if I can take pictures at the pumpkin patch they set up every year, and of course I'll be glad to do it. The school wants to set up a photo booth, where the students can get their pictures taken while wearing their costumes. Now here is the thing: This is done as a fundraiser, along with similar other stations (i.e. dunking tank for the principal). In fact I learned that this day is the main fundraiser for the year. So they would be charging the students/parents to get their pictures taken. So what should we give them in return? I see that many professional photographers who set up such booths would make prints right on site, but I don't have a printer, and no assistant who would do the printing. We're looking if another parent can jump in with that role, but so far no luck. Another option I suggested was to just publish the images on my or some other website, but the board is concerned that students may not be willing to pay for something on site if they get the images later. Then there is the option to not charge them for taking the image, but later charge them when they order a print, but many students may forget to do that, etc. So if somebody has experience with this or some other ideas, I'd appreciate some hints.

I donate prints for good causes. The one that they all seem to want is this one:

This one is going into a silent auction next month for a church to raise money for one of its causes. I'm not a religious person, but I agree with the cause - helping others, especially children, who desperately need help. They've assured me no administration costs come off the top.

A good friend of mine organized a concert with multiple belgian punkrock/hardcore bands, to support breast cancer awareness (he lost his mom). I made some shots of bands playing there and gave them to him - it was the least I could do to support him.

I've also helped other friends in the past with some photo's for comparable good causes e.g. giving teenagers a free podium to perform their music for the first time.

This weekend I attended a small rowing event here in N Idaho. Hanging around wsiting for the event to start, a woman comes up and asks If I wouldn't mind sending her some of my photos. She figured with my big lenses (300 f/4 and 70-200) I might some good shots. She didn't know how to get my email address and neither of us had a pen so I borrowed her phone and sent myself a blank message so I'd have her email. I took the photos, got home and sent her a bunch She liked them and asked me if I'd photograph next years event, and shoot some of their other paddling events as they come up. Found out she is part of a volunteer group promoting rowing events on the Pend O'reille river, they just got given a 8 oar shell (!) . Next year I'm going to ask a couple of my marine sheriff friends if I can get on their boat and shoot from the water. I've done them some big favors at the city shooting range where I work (volunteer) as a rangemaster.

Thorsten

Yesterday we had the pumpkin patch at the school. I set up a photo booth, with a back drop and two flashes (one soft box, one umbrella). And we had two "picture frames" that the students could hold up if they liked. My daughter did the selling (she turned out to be quite a sales person), I took the pictures, and my wife printed them on a small mobile printer. We sold 35 pictures (4x6"), at $2 apiece, so we raised $70 for the school. So it was a modest start (it would have been simpler for me to just give $70 to the school), but the kids had a lot of fun, their classmates got some keepsake prints, and I got to practice my photography. One lesson: Bring something to weigh down the light stands! Luckily had gaffer tape, and there were a lot of big pumpkins to tape to the legs.

Here are some samples.

Real Name
Randy
Yesterday we had the pumpkin patch at the school. I set up a photo booth, with a back drop and two flashes (one soft box, one umbrella). And we had two "picture frames" that the students could hold up if they liked. My daughter did the selling (she turned out to be quite a sales person), I took the pictures, and my wife printed them on a small mobile printer. We sold 35 pictures (4x6"), at $2 apiece, so we raised $70 for the school. So it was a modest start (it would have been simpler for me to just give $70 to the school), but the kids had a lot of fun, their classmates got some keepsake prints, and I got to practice my photography. One lesson: Bring something to weigh down the light stands! Luckily had gaffer tape, and there were a lot of big pumpkins to tape to the legs.

Here are some samples.

those look great and what a good idea

I only found the cafe a couple of days ago following a tip from someone who's already on it and introduced myself yesterday. This morning I found this thread which is easily the most inspiring I've come across. A wonderful thought by OP Randy and moving, stimulating input by so many others since. Glad I joined.

It does the heart good to help others as shown in this thread .... I do a local science fair every year here ... and last year we hosted the National Science Fair for Canada of which there were certain spots I wasn't allowed because of the National committee .. they supplied their own photographer and were quit strict on what was allowed and what wasn't . Unfortunately I've been asked not to share photo's per their request and I'll honor that ...

It does the heart good to help others as shown in this thread .... I do a local science fair every year here ... and last year we hosted the National Science Fair for Canada of which there were certain spots I wasn't allowed because of the National committee .. they supplied their own photographer and were quit strict on what was allowed and what wasn't . Unfortunately I've been asked not to share photo's per their request and I'll honor that ...
It's a shame (as in they should feel shame) when the "big dogs" are invited in --- and completely ignore all the work and all the workers who made it all possible and cultivated the excitement for the dogs to be able to show up at all!

As a recent USAF retiree, based in San Antonio (where SAMMC is located),
I've shot a couple of Wounded Warrior dinners....This gentleman is a double-amputee...

Wounded Warrior Thanksgiving Dinner by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

Real Name
Randy
As a recent USAF retiree, based in San Antonio (where SAMMC is located),
I've shot a couple of Wounded Warrior dinners....This gentleman is a double-amputee...

Thanks !!!

Real Name
Randy
I've been doing alot of cancer and diabetes races, bike and foot and today in high heels (The Stiletto Sprint for Ovarian Cancer research at the Levine Cancer Institute in Charlotte).

I have been shooting this way for a long time. I did a church directory for my old church. That was work but it was fun. I have shot newborns for mothers who could not afford pictures as well as engagements pictures and weddings and senior shots too. I love portraits and will usually refer them to people who charge if they can afford it but if they are referred to me by the pastor, who I told my theory, I will shoot them for free or for a very nominal cost. I am told beforehand what I need to charge.... funny but it makes them happier. I have donated time and talent to the local hospital and my new thing is to help cancer patients. I have shot a few now and it is very rewarding. It helps that we have a lot in common to talk about as we shoot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom