Let's see your full moon shots!

tonight is the first time I've shot the moon, came out ok, but I definitely need more pixels for cropping. Seems like this thread's become the moon shot thread, keep them coming!

100% crop from D50

0F6D0030C84447119E2E610DC1586290.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my full moon shot with D7K...
5543629834_67c796dc0c_b.jpg

I didn't get anything this good. Now I'm looking for some good quality long glass. I don't shoot telephoto much, but when I did, the 55-200 just didn't cut it.

Here is one I took early Saturday morning:

1220820113_TPapb-X2.jpg

The D7000 plays very well together with the 500/4. Unfortunately, this moon shot was also the last picture this D7000 took, in it's short life. After I took this image, I moved the tripod with the rig into the house, turned the light off and proceeded to go to bed. I came back briefly into the room to grab a magazine, didn't turn the light on, forgot that the tripod was standing in the middle of the room, and tripped the whole thing over. :Ouch: Luckily, the 500/4 was apparently unharmed by the fall (it landed on the carpet), but the D7000 literally broke off. I guess I need to be glad it's made of plastic (at least partially), so it broke off rather than bending the 500 lens mount. The camera is into pieces and beyond repair, the only thing left to do is throwing it into the garbage. I was able to remove the camera piece that was still mounted to the lens. I had just bought this camera as a light weight kit when traveling with my kids, and for extra telephoto reach (it give 3x the amount of pixels on a subject, compared to my D700). Well, I'll probably bite the bullet and order another one.

Here is one I took early Saturday morning:

http://www.tkphoto.me/Galleries/Santa-Clara/Moon-20110318-009-Edit/1220820113_TPapb-X2.jpg

The D7000 plays very well together with the 500/4. Unfortunately, this moon shot was also the last picture this D7000 took, in it's short life. After I took this image, I moved the tripod with the rig into the house, turned the light off and proceeded to go to bed. I came back briefly into the room to grab a magazine, didn't turn the light on, forgot that the tripod was standing in the middle of the room, and tripped the whole thing over. :Ouch: Luckily, the 500/4 was apparently unharmed by the fall (it landed on the carpet), but the D7000 literally broke off. I guess I need to be glad it's made of plastic (at least partially), so it broke off rather than bending the 500 lens mount. The camera is into pieces and beyond repair, the only thing left to do is throwing it into the garbage. I was able to remove the camera piece that was still mounted to the lens. I had just bought this camera as a light weight kit when traveling with my kids, and for extra telephoto reach (it give 3x the amount of pixels on a subject, compared to my D700). Well, I'll probably bite the bullet and order another one.

Wow. You are hurting me. I don't want to think about the idea that I could wreck the camera in a split second. I feel for you.

Thorsten,
Incredible shot!

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate fate of your D7000....

Wow. You are hurting me. I don't want to think about the idea that I could wreck the camera in a split second. I feel for you.

Thank you for your comments! I'm just grateful that the lens survived...but I learned my lesson about leaving the gear standing around at home.

My photo with 600mm VR, 1.4X teleconverter and D7000
1222869822_yJwZi-L.jpg

TKPhoto, I feel your pain. But now you're a real photgrapher because you've proven that you'll paid the price for a great shot. It doesn't matter if you did that in the hills of Afghanistan, or stumbling through the living room in your shorts - you're a pro. Seriously, my hat's off to you because you made the effort to get that shot, and you succeeded.

And you also have one d@mn funny story to relate for the rest of your life. Will you give the rest of us permission to re-tell it, without using your name?

This isn't with the D7000 but this seems to be the only active moon shot thread.

D700

1221644251_ULYSt-X2.jpg

TKPhoto, I feel your pain. But now you're a real photgrapher because you've proven that you'll paid the price for a great shot. It doesn't matter if you did that in the hills of Afghanistan, or stumbling through the living room in your shorts - you're a pro. Seriously, my hat's off to you because you made the effort to get that shot, and you succeeded.

And you also have one d@mn funny story to relate for the rest of your life. Will you give the rest of us permission to re-tell it, without using your name?

Thanks! That's a nice way to look at it. Your comments remind me of my brother in law who is a passionate fisherman in his spare time. The first time I went out with him, I was most concerned with not getting wet. But he told me one only becomes a fisherman the day one falls into the water, and in his words "a dry a%# catches no fish".

So go ahead and spread the word about the day one hobby photographer involuntarily became a pro. :cool:

well, I don't have a D7000 but have posted some moon shots in the nighttime photography forum - took more tonight with the D200 - how about changing the title of the thread to include us that don't have the d7K?

well, I don't have a D7000 but have posted some moon shots in the nighttime photography forum - took more tonight with the D200 - how about changing the title of the thread to include us that don't have the d7K?

Since this thread seems to be the ongoing moon shot thread, I changed it. :)

Since you changed it from being D7000 specific I'll risk posting a shot that is not even Nikon specific. :biggrin:

Pentax K20 + Sigma 50-500 @420mm, f11 @250 Iso 200
5547139350_264fae293d_b.jpg
[/url] Full Moon2.jpg by rzarbo, on Flickr[/IMG]

Saturday night in Plainfield, NH.
D1x, 300 f4 ED-IF + kenko 1.4
f/8 @ 1/80, ISO 320

1221558539_gE4Yw-O.jpg

Here's mine, IIRC it was taken with my D90 and BigmOS, can't remember if I had the 1.4TC on....
20110118.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom