Let's show some FX wide angle samples....

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bandnuts, Aug 29, 2008.

1. I talked about a thread that shows samples from different wide angle options for Nikon FX formats. That's an area a lot of us haven't had to dip into yet, so it's hard to make a decision.

Well, I finally got my wide angle pic and I'm totally impressed with the first hour I've had with the Tamron 17x35 F/2.8-4. It's good and sharp wide open and I see plenty enough sharpness all the way out to the edges. Thank you Andy (puddleduck) for the tests you provided. Here's a few of my test shots and some sample real world photos. Only issue noted with the lens if that you'll HAVE to use an extra thin filter if you're someone like me that uses filters. I had a Hoya on it (they are rather small) and it was causing some dark edges in the corner. You may see it in a couple of the shots until I noticed it and pulled off the filter.

17mm - Focus point shows up in the crops. This was taken at both F/9 (ISO 800) and F/2.8 (ISO 200) to show the difference. There's not much difference in sharpness (both are fine) but the blur is much smoother in the 2.8 version. F9 is way too tight for anything that you would want to show depth.
    [​IMG]

17mm - This one shows edge sharpness. F/9 (ISO 1250) and F/2.8 (ISO 200). I think the loss of sharpness on the F/2.8 version is because the far left and right edge of the leaf is so much farther away from the camera than the center focus point was (because of the angles and how close I was to the subject). Either way, I'm happy with the performance.
    [​IMG]

17mm - F5.6
    [​IMG]

17mm - F/3.5 SB800 (ceiling bounce) with 100% crop no edit to distortion
    [​IMG]

17mm - F/2.8 SB800 (ceiling bounce) no edit to distortion
    [​IMG]

17mm - F/2.8 SB800 (ceiling bounce) with 100% crop no edit to distortion
    [​IMG]

35mm - F/4.0 SB800 (ceiling bounce) no edit to distortion
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Nice shots Kap. Looks like I would have picked up one of those if I didn't find the Nikon 17-35 @ FotoFile. Here's one I took the other day. (Sorry for those that have seen it in other threads.)

ISO1250, 17mm, 1/40s, f/2.8
    2803492802_1bedfea2ec_b.jpg

And here are a couple from the protests in Bangkok over the last few days:

ISO200, 28mm, 1/125s, f/5.6
    2807481140_d9a356dedb_b.jpg

ISO200, 17mm, 1/100s, f/5
    2807483062_d6c74407f3_b.jpg

ISO200, 17mm, 1/200s, f/7.1
    2806540387_6c7677d5e5_b.jpg

ISO200, 25mm, 1/25s, f/5.6
    2806558709_4de30211c6_b.jpg

Craig

3. Craig, Am I wrong but do the Nikon pics appear to have more of a "crisp" appearance? I can't think of another word that fit but "crisp". Both are sharp, but something looks like it's missing from the Tamron shots (perhaps what's missing is an interesting subject, compared to yours). :rolleyes:

I'll take some more outside and street shots this weekend, perhaps it's the difference in type of photos and my use of the flash?

4. Kap,

Now that you mention it, I do see a difference. It could be the lighting, but it could also be that mine are, on the whole, stopped down more than yours. During these protests, I have just been putting it on P and concentrating on getting the shot.

I look forward to seeing your next batch for comparison.

Craig

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    It's hard to tell sharpness from cropped photographs, as to me they both look pretty similar, however Craig's shots look more contrasty I think, which I think is why I think they look more crisp (illusion of sharpness).

6. BINGO!! Perhaps that's it as I was using a custom curve that takes contrast down and I had active D-Lighting on (making it even worse). I was more excited about checking softness and if the darn thing was going to work than getting the right picture control settings. I'll play some more and see what happens, thanks for the input Weiran.

Craig, what custom picture control did you use for your outside shots?

7. Kap,

I definitely haven't figured out very many custom setting yet. I have just been trying to get the shots. I have kept all the NEF files and will try lots of things when I get home.

For these, they are simply active d-lighting set to high since it was so bright outside, and neutral for picture control. I think I then used a +10 USM. Not very much yet.

Craig

8. Cool, I'll work with that and post some more tomorrow.

9. Do MF lenses also count?

Here's one with D3 and 20/3.5 @ f/8.

There might be some motion blur involved as this was shot at 1/50.

original.jpg

Cheers

10. That's gorgeous, Harry.

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    20-35 @ 20mm

2809029080_0ac27a1196_b.jpg

Sig 20 @ f4

2794468144_316cb9ff69_b.jpg

12. Beautiful shot Harry. I recently acquired this lens and it's a real gem.

13. Good stuff Harry....

14. Francis, do you see a difference in "edge" between the Nikon and Sigma at about the same F stop? Nice shots by the way........

15. Personally I do see a difference and feel the Nikon has a cleaner, crisper look with more 'pop' to it. Subjective, I know but that is what I see.

16. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I try not to think about it too much and just try to enjoy what I have. But to be fair, I shot at f8 with the Nikkor and f4 with the Sigma. But I do love my Sigma primes :Love:. So to me....no edge.

17. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    It's not really a good comparison because they were shot at different apertures and at different times of the day. One mid day and one evening.

18. Agreed, but it was my observation nonetheless. :cool:

19. D700, 14-24 @ 17mm f10:
    102326561.jpg
    D700, 14-24 @ 14mm f10:
    [​IMG]

20. Polyphemus

Polyphemus

Jul 23, 2007
    Austria
    Good to see, that this lens works perfectly on FX...