Lets talk about Rain Gear for our Gear :)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Ok I am going to be investing in rain gear since well I have to lol

Right now I am leaning towards the Aqua Tech SS-300 Sport Shield (Navy)
    from B&H, but what eyepiece do I get for my D3?

Also I use an off camera flash for my high school shooting, what should I use to cover my SB-900 flash?

Thanks for any input.

2. I use the Kata brand and love it. It's also $150 cheaper.

I used it to protect my camera from ocean spray when shooting surfers from a jetty.

Not sure about flash protection.

3. I have used many different rain hoods and for me, the Aquatech is the best out there for a 300mm lens and shorter. I use one for my 300/2.8 and my 70-200 and other zooms. The eyepiece that you need for the D3 and the D700 is the same as the one for the D2X series.

If you go longer than the 300mm, I prefer the new ThinkTank Photo Hydrophobia

http://thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_HydroPhb.php

Reason I like the TT version is because it rolls down the barrel into itself. Very convenient of the weather is iffy. This past weekend I shot football in NY during the remnants of Hannah. I had the TT mounted, but not deployed on my 400/2.8 until the rains came late in the game. Then just rolled it into protection mode as the rain fell; took about 2 seconds. Would not have wanted it deployed without the rain and trying to mount the AquaTech takes more time if it suddenly rains.

My second body with 70-200 had the AquaTech mounted on the barrel of the lens, but rolled back from the camera during the fair weather and deployed when it rained.

The reason I prefer the TT on the 400, but not on the 300 is that I find that the roll up feature is harder to use on a physically shorter lens.

You will not go wrong with either of these shields. They work in drenching, wind blown conditions. As long as you can keep the front element dry, your gear stays absolutely dry. If the orientation of the subject requires you to shoot into a strong wind when it is raining, no shield I know of will keep the front element dry....and if that gets wet, you are out of business. Of course, you can wrap fron element in a plastic bag, but the IQ will be sketchy at best. Works for a "record shot", but not for something to be published.

4. I like that TT...hmmm.

5. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

I just wrote an entire article on my blog about this..... LOL .....

http://topher04r1.blogspot.com/

Matt aquatech makes a external flash cover that may be of use for you and the SB ... give it a look ...

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT

will have to read that article. The flash cover, will it work if it is not connected to the body? I would assume yes to that answer.

7. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

oh man ... idk ... im sure they make something.... worst case senario i suppose you could get an underwater case ?

8. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    well I really like the look of aquatech but as you know I flash HS so I need something to cover that flash. I supposed I could always rig it with that flash cover to make it work.

I believe the SB-900 is weather sealed so that aquatech should keep it just fine

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Think Tank makes one as well. I have no expierence with it ,but they have a good reputation .

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I recently bought the Aquatech SS-300 with the eyepiece for the D300, but I have not used it yet.

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I have the same as Frank, have only had to use it once (don't get nearly enough rain down here) but it kept all my gear perfectly dry and useable.

12. I also just bought the Think Tank Hydrophobia 300-600. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet but I'm impressed with the ease of deployment in trials at home.

13. The Think Tank is nice, but for some reason mine doesn't fully strap on to the 300mm. Have worked with it a few times, its nice, but its not "solid" on the hood, as least where I feel it should be tight. Could be i just haven't used it enough, but we will see. I also just ordered a Storm Jacket, for my 70-200. Can't justify $200 of the aquatech for something I will rarely use.

14. I have the TT alos a great peice of equipment in my mind

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.