Let's talk gourmet marshmallows

"Gourmet marshmallow" sounds like an oxymoron. ;)
I found one company that prices their handcrafted marshmallows so high -- about $1.50 each -- that they better be gourmet quality. That company stopped shipping during the summer because of the high heat. Now that cold temperatures have returned, they don't expect to have them until early 2022.

There is (or at least was) a high-end restaurant in the Washington, D.C. area that makes gourmet cotton candy for dessert. Everything I read and heard about it was nothing but raves. So, maybe there is something like that when it comes to marshmallows.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Gourmet marshmallows?
I am an easter peep kind of guy- I actually get peeps by the commercial case. One of the few candies I like
gary
:eek:

You are the only person I know who likes those peeps! :D Outside of black licorice, peeps is the one candy I just cannot do...

Real Name
Ken
I'm interested in trying some exceptional marshmallows that are far better than the common grocery store-variety marshmallows. Your recommendations?
Two vendors that come to mind are Whole Foods Markets and Zingerman's (in Ann Arbor, MI). I believe that both have offered gourmet marshmallows over the years. The former may have discontinued their house product since being purchased by Amazon, but it is still worth a look.

Good luck,

--Ken

I've eaten a "high quality" marshmallow and I didn't really care for it. I like the cheap ones from the grocery store better as that is what I'm used to. I think it's a consistency thing.

I love the combination of dark chocolate (or fudge), peanut butter and marshmallow sauce over ice cream. Years ago I used to enjoy that combination at the old Friendly's, called "Reese's Pieces Sundae." Mmmmm!!!! Occasionally at home I will put together my own version, but not all that frequently, as it's pretty rich. Marshmallow sauce I really like, but actual marshmallows? Not so much sol Something about the texture of them.....

Whole Foods Markets
I took a look and see that they sell the Dandies brand of marshmallows.

They also sell a Toonie Moonie marshmallow cream. That's appealing to me because, though I don't like normal marshmallows sold in grocery stores, I do like it when those marshmallows melt in the hot chocolate. So, I might like using marshmallow cream. Also, a swirl of marshmallow cream in the hot chocolate could be very attractive in a photo...if the cream floats in the top.

In the section of the grocery store where they sell ice cream toppings is where I buy Smucker's Marshmallow Topping, which is nice and goopy, an actual sauce, the way I like it, rather than something the consistency of Marshmallow Fluff. Not sure what Marshmallow Cream is, whether it's like a sauce (which is what the name suggests) or has a different consistency than either it or Fluff.

Zingerman's
I'm already sold! Thanks! The following excerpt from their website hooked me: "I know those supermarket marshmallows you had as a kid have a strong nostalgic pull. To enjoy ours, you kind of need to put that rosy memory aside and treat these as a totally new species, like a confection discovered on a previously unknown island." YOWZA!

Half the package is chocolate marshmallows and half is vanilla marshmallows. At a cost of slightly more than $1 each, I'll wait to see if they have a Black Friday sale.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom