Lets talk Medium Format

So as I am currently out of Karma points...:frown: the second..the Nano Second that I buy a medium format camera, Nikon will introduce the D4x :mad:
And it will do everything but float in midair.
But lets say I have the will power to just hold on to see just what it will look like..yea lets just say that..:tongue:

Who here has some experience with these money sucking monsters with floor to ceiling prints? A print that you can walk up to in a room and push your nose against.

I have no doubt those huge sensors will be better, but what if the Nikon steps out with a mid 50's sensor..and no video..please lord no friggen video :eek:
My thinking is I would save a lot of money, and be able to use current lenses.

So lets kick Medium format around a little.
Gary

Absolutely not. No 800 ever, not if they were free. :eek:
Gary

Hell, you got a D3x, might as well get a used D800 for under $2,000 and enjoy it until the D4x comes about. I skipped the D4 and am also waiting on what the D4x will bring. They throw in an improved D800 sensor in that thing and it will destroy medium format. Medium format is dead.

There is medium format and there is medium format. I wouldn't buy a Pentax 645D because it will probably be overtaken pixel-wise by the D4x, but if I had a LOT of money I might consider the Leica S2 or a Phase One 645 DF+ with an IQ180 back. Then again, they'd be too heavy for hiking, so I'd probably stick with Nikon.

There is medium format and there is medium format. I wouldn't buy a Pentax 645D because it will probably be overtaken pixel-wise by the D4x, but if I had a LOT of money I might consider the Leica S2 or a Phase One 645 DF+ with an IQ180 back. Then again, they'd be too heavy for hiking, so I'd probably stick with Nikon.

+1

And the only thing you are stuck with is a D800!:biggrin:

I looked at the Pentax but came to the same conclusion that you did. Currently looking at the Mamiya Leaf 645.
Gary

I don't think medium format will be dead until nikon/cannon etc come up with a sensor that will do 16bit raw files...
Thank you..the 16bit files is something I wanted to ask about but couldn't put my finger on it.
So just how much better/different are the 16bit considering the size prints I need?
Gary

Thank you..the 16bit files is something I wanted to ask about but couldn't put my finger on it.
So just how much better/different are the 16bit considering the size prints I need?
Gary

i've been looking at them... it seems the colors are smoother and the resolution is crisper...

I used medium format for many years and regret I sold mine.
I will only say that if sharpness is what you want in a big enlargement then your cameras should be a 4x5 or a medium format.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I used medium format for many years and regret I sold mine.
I will only say that if sharpness is what you want in a big enlargement then your cameras should be a 4x5 or a medium format.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.
This is what I am thinking also.
Gary

Lots of things to consider when choosing a medium format camera.

-What size negative do you want? 6x7, 645, square format, etc.

-What type of medium format would you like to shoot? Different sizes and shapes tailored to different shooting styles. (SLR, TLR, Rangefinder, etc.) Some are more portable, others weigh a ton.

- How many frames do you want per roll? You get 15 frames from a 120 roll if you use a 645, but that same 120 roll will only get you 10 frames if you use a 6x7.

- How much automation are you looking for in terms of metering and aperture control?

- How much are you willing to spend on accessories like lenses, prisms, film backs, etc.?

I have used medium format for years, mostly Mamiya (645 and RB67). I prefer my 645 because of its smaller size and weight compared to the RB67. I also found that the 645 lenses have better coating and produce richer colors than RB lenses. The 645 handles much like a regular SLR film camera, where the RB is a more studio-oriented camera (shutter speeds are on the lens, metal film plate has to be removed prior to taking a shot). I have the CDS metered prism on my RB67; camera with lens, 120 back and CDS prism weighs 7 pounds. The RB67 has a rotating back which means you can shoot either portrait or landscape orientation. A very cool feature when your RB is on a tripod.

Lenses and accessories for Mamiya 645 and RB67 are not very expensive. You will find that if you go with Hasselblad or Contax you will be spending way much more, especially on lenses.

For many years I produced large prints with both systems (645 and 6x7). Depending on the film you select (Kodak Porta line of films was my favorite), you will be able to get outstanding negatives capable of huge enlargements (or equally huge scans).

If you want to take a dip into the medium format world I would suggest looking into a Mamiya 645E with 80mm lens, 120 film insert and rapid film advance handle. The limitations would be that you will only be able to change film inserts (either 120 or 220) but not be able to change film backs (you wouldn't be able to add a Polaroid back), the prism is part of the body (you won't have the choice of mounting a waist level finder or magnifying accessories), and the camera is battery dependent.

The advantages of a Mamiya 645E system are that you would have access to Mamiya's fantastic lenses, you would be shooting medium format, the camera has manual mode and aperture priority mode and the size/weight is manageable.

p.s. forgot to add: The cool thing about having several film backs (instead of just film inserts) is that you can pre-load several backs with film making it more convenient to shoot more rolls quicker. This is especially convenient if you are shooting an event (like a wedding) and know in advance that you will be using several rolls. Also, most 120 rolls need to be kept refrigerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
snegron,
Thanks for the good info, especially on the lenses. But this venture will be strictly digital. And that is one of the questions I have is how big? You can get several different digital backs for these monsters.
I will be interested in peoples feelings when comparing images from the different bit rates they produce.
Gary

snegron,
Thanks for the good info, especially on the lenses. But this venture will be strictly digital. And that is one of the questions I have is how big? You can get several different digital backs for these monsters.
I will be interested in peoples feelings when comparing images from the different bit rates they produce.
Gary

My gut feeling is if/once you get a digital MF system you will find that you use it far less than you thought you would. The real question is, what will digital MF give you over what your D3x is currently isn't giving you for you everyday needs? And if you find that you really DO need digital MF in rare instances you can always rent. Now if you are going to use it on a regular basis by all means it is cheaper to own if you are sure you will get a quick return on your money. Stick with the D3x, MF is a dead end street.

Latest threads

Top Bottom