Let's Try Some Architecture

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by greyflash, Feb 3, 2005.

1. This old tabernacle was built in 1876 by the Mormon pioneers when they settled in St. George, Utah. The old cowboy statue was added last year and sits in the round about at the intersection. The statue is about four feet high so I laid down and shot up at the tabernacle and used my flash to illuminate it. Shot with the D2H and a 17-55mm lens. I used a perspective crop to straighten the sides of the building so that it didn't look like it was falling in on itself. A CP filter was used to darken the sky.

2. Man, that sky is awesome. I keep trying to decide if I like the Cowboy statue there or not, it does add some interesting contrast to the Angel Moroni, I think?, at the top of the spire. An image that just sucks me in, slick.

Thanks, Gordon.

3. No angel on the top of this building it is on the temple (a white building). Thanks for your comments.

4. Correct, I have the wrong building. What is that on the top of the spire?

5. It's actually a weather vane but it is difficult to tell that from this angle. It has an arrow with some weird shape around it. Don't quote me on the weather vane but that is what it looks like to me.

6. Makes sense to me. That is what I get for responding when it is late and I am tired. I just saw Mormon and the Spire, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 14 :oops: . Sorry if I offended anyone.

And I still don't know if I like that Cowboy in there or not....can you go back and ask him to move :?:

7. Old & New

Architecture isn't my specialty, but I'll give it a try. Here's the Old Mission at San Luis Obispo, which dates back to 1772.

And here's the new center for performing arts at Cal Poly SLO.

View attachment 4849

8. Re: Old & New

Nice images Frank, I have been to both places. I like San Luis Obispo and have visited there more than once.

9. Gordon,

Very well done, technically and compositionnally speaking. IMHO, despite its position in the foreground, the cowboy doesn't compete against the tabernacle for the viewer's attention because it's darker than the church. Instead, it attracts the viwer eyes (thank to the use of fill flash that gives pleasant details to it) then drives them to the church along the picture's main diagonal.

The use of the CP filter darken the blue sky and because of the created strong color contrast (vivid orange vs saturated blue) makes the church standing out from the background.

The from-the-ground angle of view puts the ┬źright perspective┬╗ to the picture.

Very well done indeed. Thanks for the free lesson.

My respect.