Leveling Base a good or bad idea with Wimberley Gimbal?

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by gadgetguy11, Apr 16, 2007.

1. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Is the Gitzo leveling base 1321 a good idea with the Wimberley gimbal, or is it basically not needed, and would add complication and weight, since the lenses used have rotating collars?

I already have this base so cost is not the issue. I want the easiest to use and carry around setup.

Thanks!

2. I'll vote for "its a good idea". I use the leveling base with mine and "feel" it helps to get things somewhat level and make it all work better (although I can't quantify this at all). The other reason I keep the leveling base on is for when I want to attach the camera body to the Wimberly directly (and a non-footed lens),using an RRS rail,....then I really do want it level.

I'm personally willing to carry the minimal extra weight to gain some flexibility....

Just my personal 2 cents worth...

3. If you want to save weight I would take it off. I have one too and never found that much need for it with the Wimberly. If weight is not the issue, it sure does not hurt anything.

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    John,

It can be useful for pano's and architecture. It does add a little to the overall height of your setup and, depending on your use, that could be good or bad. Other than that there are no real complications as long as you level it and keep it tight. The added weight is the only reason I don't leave mine on all the time.

I noticed that you sold your G1325. Will the 1321 fit your 6x replacement?

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I received the new legs today: GT3530LSV. Initial impression is: WOW! Strong, and lightweight. And the leg locks work as advertised. Feels more sturdy than 1325, but feels much lighter, although I do not believe it really is. My large Wimberley shipped today from B&H, and I'll wait to try these legs until it arrives. Yes, the 1321 fits the GT3530LSV perfectly.

The biggest shock was my new monopod that also arrived today: GM-2540. It is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Replaces G-1588 which I loved. It was solid as a rock, and never flexed. The new pod weighs between 1/3 to 1/2 of the 1588, and feels as strong. Again, leg locks work as advertised. I plan to mount the flip head on it, used on the 1588.