Libellula lydia

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, May 13, 2007.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I have not yet seen any dragonflies around the pond, but I did spot several of these common whitetails in the corner of one field and in the nearby woods. I’d like to have had some better angles, but what you see is what I got. [Why are they called whitetails when the color is actually a very light blue?:confused: ]

Male

DSC_1677sm.

Female [Not -- actually immature male]

DSC_1674sm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    these are nice Bob.. guess its time to go check out the local pond here and see whats flying around.. not sure why they call them white tail either.. but again nice shots..

3. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Tim. I thought it was too cool, but there was quite a variety of insects in that field.

4. Nice shots, Bob!

Beautiful dragons indeed! About the naming, there´re many different kind of damsels named as bluetails so maybe that´s the reason, just guessing though... Then again it could have been named "common lightbluetail" :smile:

Edit: By the way, I think they´re both males. First is mature and second is immature. Take a look here, look carefully the tips of their tails, there´re obvious differences between male and female:
    male http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/dragonfly/Libellulidae/lli2ta.htm
    female http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/dragonfly/Libellulidae/lli3ta.htm

And here´s an immature male, so it´s not the coloring thing:
    http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~fmitchel/dragonfly/Libellulidae/lli8ta.htm

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2007
  5. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    THANKS Jukka. I had noted that the wing markings were different on the female, but decided to go with the difference in coloration -- wrong. Interesting that there was an abundance of mature and immature males in the area -- now I'll have to go back out and hunt for the females:smile: .

6. LOL! Now that you mentioned the different markings on their wings... it´s REMARKABLE... I didn´t even noticed that, I was so concentrated their tail tips :biggrin:

Yep, and with some species old females look like mature males, so it can be tricky sometimes...